[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - In Praise of BANDOLERO! (2004 release)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: In Praise of BANDOLERO! (2004 release)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:50 pm 

Fortune shined on me recently when a good friend offered me the 2004 expanded Intrada CD for Bandolero! at a reasonable price. I've had the ole Project 3 release for a number of years and was excited to get my paws on the expanded release. Gotta tip my keyboard to Mr. Fake and all involved who put this wonderful album together. The sound quality is a vast improvement, and all those extra cues are a treat to hear (I unfortunately have not seen the movie). And ya know what I dug the most? Silly as it may be, it was the rock demo of the main theme! That was just wacky and fun, particularly for me because I find the theme from Bandolero! to be one of Goldsmith's catchiest. It's been in and outta my head for years, and when it starts up, it's stuck for days. Walking to the elevator, waiting for a computer to boot up, recycling some paper, taking a leak...whatever the mundane life moments may be, there's a triangle in me skull and a whistle on my face as Bandolero! westernizes my daily grind. In fact, about 10 days ago when I made the deal to get this CD, the theme already permeated my guts and it's been going daily until the CD arrived a couple days ago. There may be mixes of other themes in my cranial jukebox, but they all have to make way for a Bandolero! invasion when it happens.

It's obvious to me that a lot of love and care went into this album, and I appreciated Mr. Fake's detailed notes about how the album came together in regard to the challenging choices that had to be made. Including the complete score followed by the demo tracks and the original album arrangement was certainly the best way to go for all. I consider it the ideal template for expanded or archival score releases. It just makes sense and it satifies both the craving for previous glory days of pre-CD album listening experiences, and the desire to experience the music in a cinematic chronology. And man, those demos were just awesome. This album is a firm reminder to me of why Intrada (and FSM) are at the top of the game. I have nothin' but love and gooey feelings for ya, Mr. F & Mr. F. A thousands thanks to you for this release of Bandolero!.

DSS

PS 1 - I noticed that the CD was "Dedicated to the memory of Jerry Goldsmith". Was this the first Goldsmith CD Intrada released after his passing? If so, it makes the release a tad more meaningful.

PS 2 - Mr. F & Mr. F, I still have faith that you are the right gentlemen to get a complete version of my favorite score of all time out there, Goldsmith's PSYCHO II. I just have to drop my compulsive reminder on this subject whenever I have yer eyes and ears for a sec. Forgive my insolence. :)

Post subject: Re: In Praise of BANDOLERO! (2004 release)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 pm 

Just NEVER start your topic with the subject heading "I don't care what ANYONE says!"! :D :wink:

P.S. I second everything you said! I e-mailed Doug a while back, praising the job they did on this release. The sound quality RIVALS ANYTHING put out that was recorded digitally!!! I would NEVER part with BANDOLERO!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:37 pm 

I'm sorry for my tardy response to this very complimentary topic. Thank you! Jerry had literally given this one his final thumbs up just before passing away. We wanted to release it as soon as possible after that to pay both tribute to him and to help cheer up his fans just a little during those sad days. His passing had quite an impact on the soundtrack community. I appreciate the compliments, of course, but credit should also go to Nick Redman, who was responsible for actually locating the rare demo you speak of. He and I spent a lot of hours working with the disparate elements from 20th Century Fox, Project 3 and Jerry himself to create the best possible new stereo mix and assembly that we could. Check out the movie when you can. It's a surprisingly gritty and certainly nihilistic western - which prior to The Wild Bunch was unheard of!! Anyway, again, thanks for such kind words about this project.
--Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 pm 

One of the Special Collection discs I wish I had purchased. There are a handful I missed but this along with the Varese Club The Robe are on the top of my hit list for getting somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:52 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]