[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Criminal examples of missing OST cue(s)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Criminal examples of missing OST cue(s)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:50 pm 

...from original (first) issues of soundtracks:

Lethal Weapon: "Hollywood Blvd Chase"
Planet of the Apes: "The Hunt"
Aliens: "FaceHuggers"
Jaws: "Father and Son"

What else?

Matt

Post subject: Re: Criminal examples of missing OST cue(s)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:55 pm 

Off the top of the head:

BANDOLERO: Procession to the Gallows
THE BLUE MAX: The Attack
THE SAND PEBBLES: Hello Engine; Final Mission (last half)
THE WILD BUNCH: the Main Title (complete); Attempt to Save Angel
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (the Duel and Flashback Resolution cues still haven't been released, after two expansions!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:50 am 
It does seem that most of the titles that have been mentioned thus far were releases that came out BEFORE CDS, thus the albums in question where limited as to how much music could be put on them.

In addition in somes cases the album had to be assembled before the entire score was recorded.

Which is why many of the cues mentioned were not included.

Ford A. Thaxton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:46 am 

TITANIC - James Horner - there is a whole new motif for sinking of the Titanic nowhere to be found on the first soundtrack album, fortunately included on Back to Titanic. Surprisingly with two album released with total of 150+ minutes there is probably not a single cue released on either of them in its original film version.

ARMAGEDDON - The Landing sequence missing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 am 

Not surprising considering that James Cameron is the director... :wink:

There are so many cues like this. Just a random example : Village Raid/Helicopter Fight (Rambo II, Jerry Goldsmith)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:03 am 

I know they only had 30 minutes to play with on the CD, but I really missed that 'Dick Miller' theme from EXPLORERS by Jerry Goldsmith. I think it's used twice in the film, if my memory serves me. During the first half with the helicopter scene and near the end when the kids have returned home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:49 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:29 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 am 

Oh I never knew that ! Thanks for the anecdote !
Jerry was too self demanding, which certainly was the reason why he suceeded to write so much good music ! I've never heard the flaw in this track though...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:09 am 

I think a good example is the original issue of "Aliens", which imo, was good, but had too many suspense cues on it. I would have liked to have had "Combat Drop" and "FaceHuggers" in place of some of the ones chosen.

But hey, I'm not the composer or the producer... I know back then there were the limitations of length and the composer clearly wants to showcase a variety of cues, which is fine.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:40 pm 

The first CD release of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK didn't even contain all of the music from the double LP, let alone the vast amount of music that didn't make it from the film to vinyl back in '81. All of the music for Han Solo's carbon freeze sequence, and Luke's ultimate showdown with Darth Vader was excluded (with the obvious exception of "The Duel"). Even the 4-disc Star Wars Anthology failed to get it just right, with the music scattered out of sequence over several CD's, and still missing the awesome fanfare for the cave worm. I would have to say that the Special Edition CD of EMPIRE was one of the most welcome and long-overdue expanded re-issues of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:30 pm 

Obviously movies with lengthy running times and long scores were heavily truncated in the LP days and initial CD releases (before all of us spoiled folk took over the industry!)

Taking everything into account, I'd have to say the two biggest omissions I can think of right now are both by Goldsmith, and both for scenes in their respective films that received the most attention for the music itself: the initial hunt scene for PLANET OF THE APES and the drive to the church in THE OMEN. In both cases, these were the cues that got discussed often in interviews, even by the filmmakers themselves, and yet both were missing from their respective albums!!
--Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 pm 

The scene in the Robert Parish film "The Wonderful Country" when the townspeople force Robert Mitchum to take a bath. I've always thought it sounded like it may have been scored by Jerry Goldsmith. And the second theme describing Mitchum's love for his horse "Lagremas" (correct spelling?). Not sure if these are on the Varese Sarabande disc. I don't own a copy. I do have the United Artist LP of the Alex North score which I consider a gem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next