[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Scores you can't believe didn't win the Oscar?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Scores you can't believe didn't win the Oscar?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm 

Since the Oscars are tonight I was wondering which past scores you can't believe didn't win the Oscar? Not to take anything away from the scores that did win, and recently getting into Goldsmith music, I'd say STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE for one. What about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Scores you can't believe didn't win the Oscar?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm 

Too many to list, but three names: Bernard Herrmann, Elmer Bernstein & Jerry Goldsmith. Just one oscar each! I think it's the one catagory thay get wrong more than any other. Mind you, if you were a composer, what would you rather do, write a really great score or win an award.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:52 pm 

It doesn't mean anything important really. It's all a big fat ass money grab. The opinion of the academy of motion picture arts and sciences holds no influence whatsoever over what I believe is "the best".

I wouldn't want to muddle my own already sick, twisted psyche even further by being sucked into a competitive mindset. I like a good film and enjoy listening to film music. Glitz, glamour and putting votes on who has the best set of tits in the whorehouse makes me feel uncomfortable. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 pm 

I can think of one..........................

OBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSION
OBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSIONOBSESSION

Even though I love Goldsmith, Herrmann -albeit posthumously - SHOULD'VE been awarded the oscar that year for that incredible musical poetry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 pm 

I can't complain about E.T. winning the Oscar in '82 as it is an all-time favorite of mine (Top 5).

But what I can't believe is how....

...wasn't even nominated. Such a shame.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:52 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:41 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Among the grossest Academy Award omissions ever was the non-nomination of Ennio Morricone's score for ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. Though, to be fair, to blame was the studio, not the Academy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:51 pm 

(As you can tell from the list below, I'm a big John Williams fan.)

The Godfather or Sleuth (One was eliminated from consideration, the other lost to Limelight, a 20 year old Chaplin film that was only eligible because it didn't show in LA until 1972.)
Superman
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
The Natural
The Mission
Hook
The American President
Braveheart
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:27 pm 

1978 to this day remains a sore spot with me... and reason I really do not care any more about the politically motivated Oscars...

SUPERMAN John Williams... or
BOYS FROM BRAZIL Jerry Goldsmith

SHOULD have won... What did win? I will leave it alone out of respect of his fans who were elated with joy he won.

Another year that still stumps me is...

1970... Nothing against Francis Lai... but PATTON by Jerry Goldsmith??? Or, AIRPORT by Alfred Newman??? Either of these is what I would have picked.

Yup, gave up on them a long time ago... I know what I like/love... I do not need a bunch of idiots "telling" us what is the best. Just look at this year...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm 

easy one....Goldsmith's Under Fire!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 pm 

Morricone's score to "The Untouchables"

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 am 

The Mission and Hoosiers!!

Too bad only one could have won since they were up against each other!!
But, they were beat out once again by the worst score nominated 'Round Midnight!
I would have also preferred Aliens or Star Trek IV winning before 'Round Midnight!
That was the official year where I stopped watching the Oscars because one the
deserving scores did not win!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next