[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE GREAT ESCAPE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE GREAT ESCAPE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm 

Announces:

THE GREAT ESCAPE
Composed and Conducted by ELMER BERNSTEIN
INTRADA MAF 7112

Intrada presents a 3-CD set featuring the music of Elmer Bernstein's The Great Escape in a definite presentation of the classic score. At the time of the film's release, Bernstein re-recorded selections with a reduced orchestra that was released on the United Artists label. The popular LP was in print for decades, and the program made its CD debut on Intrada back in 1992, followed by a couple of reissues. In 2004, the long-lost original film tracks were released on a limited edition 2-CD set which quickly went out-of-print. Now Intrada combines both the United Artists LP program and the original film tracks into a single album, providing a one stop for both albums. Featuring the original key art and cleaning up some anomalies from the film tracks, in addition to assembling the tracks as they were intended by the composer, this is the last word on and the definitive presentation of the music to The Great Escape.

Bernstein wrote 90 minutes of score and recorded it with 62 players. It featured a theme that has become one of the most famous of film themes. As Nick Redman mentions in his detailed and authoritative notes, it's "a theme that could blow the roof off a cinema. A theme that could make an audience wild. A theme that delineated all there was to know about war, captivity, freedom and escape. A theme to thrill, a theme to engage, a theme to just plain love. A theme that, like the spirit of man itself, might just not ever die."

All this on this specially priced, unlimited release.

INTRADA MAF 7112
Retail Price: $19.99
AVAILABLE NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6866/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE GREAT ESCAPE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:32 pm 

Thank you so much, Hamsters! A great way to start 2011! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 pm 

So, I'm guessing it was a contractual thing that forced the three discs? It seems silly otherwise (especially as it takes up twice as much space)

How's the sound on the album version compared to the Ryko? It was like Taras Bulba, in that it was overly dry. Kritzerland did wonders with the former.

But if this sound better than the Varese club, guess I'm gonna have to get it...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm 

Oh man, this is on my Want List, along with First Blood.

Awesome !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:44 pm 

Sweet, 3CD set, remastered, original art (never was too fond of the painting with Steve McQueen holding a baseball).
I'll get this at the next release announcement.

Perfect choice to start off Intrada's great wall of 2011. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:45 pm 

I missed out on the Varese Club edition (I wasn't around here back then), so I am VERY happy to have this re-issued.

ORDERED!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:54 pm 

I have every CD release of this as it's my all time favorite score & film. The Varese Club CD was astounding as it was so unexpected, but no doubt Intrada's will be the definitive package. While I liked the cover art on the Varese, it's great to have that iconic poster art back as the cover for this. Ordered 2 copies!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm 

This is just awesome - I missed out on the Varese version as well. So happy this has been released - thanks Intrada!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm 

An excellent release. A pass from me as I have the Club version, but there must be an awful lot of people who missed out & would love this. One of the most famous film themes of the 60's. The original score sounds fantastic. I think you should have had "At First Glance" as one of the clips, such a great cue, & one I looked for in vain when I played the LP back in the 60's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 pm 

19.99 For this release is crazy insane Wonderful for soundtrack lovers. Will order for sure in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:31 pm 

Love and adore Bernstein ordered without hesitation even though I have the Varese edition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:10 pm 

Thanks so much for releasing this, Intrada! As a MAF release, I suppose I could comfortably wait, but I went ahead and ordered it now to support Intrada for making a rare and OOP score available for everyone.

Thanks for making it unlimited, attractively priced, and for using the classic artwork.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:26 pm 

This is brill! I missed out on the Varese edition, and I see that I'm not the only one...I will be ordering this one! Thanks guys!

Cheers!
Harry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 pm 

"TALLY-HO!"

I actually *GASPED* on seeing this release!! :shock: :shock:

Another one here, who hasn't got the Varese Club edition (which now goes for $100+ on Amazon - cheers Doug!, you've just saved me a fistful of dollars!! :mrgreen: )

THIS soundtrack - along with the James Bond scores, and the 1970's/'80's blockbuster scores of John Williams - is the reason WHY I got into film music, some 30+ years back, as a little kid

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU 8) 8)

P.S.: I'm going to call the 3 Discs: "TOM", "DICK" and "HARRY" :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:25 pm 

Thank you for this release. I'm another one who missed out on the Varese Club release so I'm very happy to finally be able to pick up the complete score.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next