[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:00 pm 

INTRADA
Announces:

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE
Music Composed and Conducted by MICHAEL SMALL
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 197

The 1981 Warner Bros. erotic thriller The Postman Always Rings Twice features a score by Michael Small -- a composer whose distinctive sound helped define the music of 1970s thrillers. Yet the composer felt a new approach was necessary for this assignment, finding Postman to be:

“...more than an erotic film, it’s a tragedy. In a way it’s almost like an opera, with clearly defined act breaks. I think The Postman Always Rings Twice was very difficult for me because it involved a style of music that I really never wrote before. I wound up going with instinct and memories of being scarily enchanted by suspense movies as a kid. I found the style by trial and error and finally internalized it. It became fun and natural and I have drawn on this ‘thirties’ feel in unusual, somewhat disguised ways ever since.”

Small’s score is dominated by two main themes: the tense, repetitive “crime” motif and the warm love theme, which has a sad yet pastoral quality that contrasts effectively with the
darkness of the storyline. For this premiere release, Intrada had access to the complete 3-track stereo elements stored in the Warner Bros. vaults.

Starring Jack Nicholson, Jessica Lange, and John Colicos and based on David Mamet’s screenplay, the film begins in the midst of the Depression as a drifter named Frank Chambers arrives at Twin Oaks, a roadside tavern near Los Angeles owned by Greek immigrant Nick Papadakis. Frank turns down Nick’s offer of a job, but changes his mind after getting a look at Cora, Nick’s young and gorgeous wife. Almost immediately, Frank and Cora become lovers and plot to kill Nick, but their attempt to drown him in a bathtub goes awry when a cop drops by at an inopportune moment.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 197
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7515/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:45 pm 

Swear on a stack of pancakes, I was thinking about this score yesterday and was going to mention it on this forum...

This is the one I will buy! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm 

This is a score I was long hoping to see released. Thank you Intrada (and Lukas and Neil!) for making this terrific Michael Small work available at long last. I can't wait to drink in the joys of Small's anguished Americana.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 am 

The collection loves a bit of variety so well & truly ordered :D
The artwork is pretty cool too

Once again another fine job by the Intrada team & all involved

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:07 am 

Woah, samples are awesome (strangely I was thinking "JAWS REVENGE" while hearing them)... congrats, Hamsters!

More Michael Small, please!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:49 am 

Ordered. My first "Small". Great Artwork!

Holy Grails: PSYIII/ESC TO ATHENA/M'RAKER/WILD GEESE II/NIGHTGEN

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:39 am 

Really great samples. I will get it later - and it will be first Small score in my collection.
And yes - very coll cover. When I see it first time I understood that was (maybe!) inspiration of this cover:
:D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 am 

This one is just too good... I remember the film did poorly at the box office. The critics did a number on it. I remember someone said Jack Nicholson was too old for the role of the 30's era drifter. As far as I'm concerned, you're never too old so long as you can still get it up. :lol:

Actually a pretty good Bob Rafelson film and a friggin' great Michael Small score. This one is a gem!

When King Kong remake came out in 1976, I developed a major hard on for Jessica Lang. The scene when Kong picks her cloths off with that horny look on his face was just too funny to be bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:49 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:32 am 

The hamsters have made this Michael Small fan very happy.

I was first exposed to his voice in ‘Mountains of the Moon’ (which is a pretty good movie, too, well worth catching up to if you missed it).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:40 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:42 am 

This is a Michael Small score release I have been waiting on forever. Oddly enough I have never seen this version of the film or heard any of the score. Just only what people have said on the message boards. It is a no brainer since i think KLUTE is such a great score and I will buy an Michael Small release as a complete blind buy.

Just placed my order today, hopefully sales for the release have been good. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:31 am 

Here says this MCA Michael Small LP has Intrada CD doubled with his score for Going In Style written all over it...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next