[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces 48 HRS.

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces 48 HRS.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am 

Hope this is not sold out by the time LLL releases John Morris' Clue because if it is not sold out by then I will for sure get this great Horner score.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:34 pm 

This is not going to sell out for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 pm 

I saw this probably 5 or 6 times in the theater when it was first released, and many times on VHS after that. I recall being disappointed that there was never a soundtrack release. Oddly enough, I haven't watched the movie in almost 20 years (!), so I was struggling to remember the music when I read the CD announcement. But listening to the sample clips brought it all flooding back, and reminded me of the passion I had for Horner's scores back then. Thanks, Intrada!

- Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:23 pm 

This makes me so happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm 

Damn...I nearly had a cardiac arrest this Tuesday when Intrada released 48hrs even if it was guessed beforehand. This IS my Horner favourite and I have longed for this to be released since I saw the movie for the first time...To finally see it appear and from INTRADA as their first release of 2011, I think the soundtrack releasing year couldnt possible start out in a better way.

It took me the whole week to digest that this CD actually was released, and by starting THIS BIG, it feels like it will be an exciting year.
Thanx Doug, Roger and the rest of the Hamsters for delivering this baby and making "an old nut" crying like a baby with joy. TOP NOTCH!!!

(My heart isn´t bad so dont worry about any c.a, but it sure skipped some beats *LOL*)

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm 

I just got my copy in the mail today along with NAVY SEALS (thank God that was still around)! Thanks again Intrada team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:59 am 

Il pass on this one.The album is too short and the music itself is almost identical to Commando and Red Heat.James Horner is a great composer but he sure does rip himself off a great deal!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:18 am 

Received my copy of 48 Hrs yesterday thanks for some top notch early James Horner score music. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 am 

(copy and paste from a post I made on FSM)

I watched the movie again tonight. Boy, do I wish more movies now were made like they were three decades ago... Walter Hill, Roger Spottiswoode, Steven E. de Souza, and Joel Silver all had a hand in production here; all are A-list names, IMO.

I'm so ecstatic that we now have the music on CD. The BusBoys songs are okay, but Horner's score is where it's at.

The music is among the essential elements of what makes this film so great - along with the acting and dialogue, most of which was improvised by Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte on the spot (!). My dad decided to sit down and watch this flick with me after I had put it on, and during the subway station pursuit scene he asked me, "what the HELL is this music?"

My dad has NEVER asked me anything about film music before, and it only goes to show that this kind of action music composition is how Horner got noticed in the business. At least, the music really does stick with me after the fact...

The Main Title is fantastic and it starts up the *instant* the movie begins, right at the Paramount logo, and it truly sets the tone of the film right before anything has even happened.

Of course, the film is very sparsely scored after that - I'd say roughly 75% of the film has no score music at all - but there is a LOT of back-and-forth dialog between Nolte and Murphy's characters.

Among the more interesting cues, I feel, is The Alley - going by the sound sample posted on the Intrada product page, I think it's very cool the way Horner wrote for percussion, and all of the sudden rhythm / tempo shifts throughout - especially during the 1:21 - 1:54 section. The blending of both orchestra and electronics is outstanding. You will also hear hints of his score for Aliens, starting at 2:52...

I truly feel that Horner knows how to write music, and to hear his frenetic action work on 48 Hrs. and Commando early on, and then flip around 180 degrees to moving, classical, symphonic scoring for The Land Before Time only years later, makes him among my favorites.

Anyway... I guess this makes 48 Hrs. one of my long-awaited grails.

Thank you, Intrada.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:49 pm 

Ever since I listened to this great disc I can not stop humming that awesome riff by the BUSBOYS from their song "48 HRS.". I was enjoying my copy of GEORGE WASHINGTON by Laurence Rosenthal this morning (a full three days since I listened to 48 HRS.) and I found myself actually humming it in between the songs. VERY cool that the BUSBOYS songs were available to be added to this awesome release.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:19 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm 

Aaaah - i got this today!!!

I can't believe how crisp and great this sounds!!! Incredible... Also the tubas, trombones and drums have a great bassy sound (the kind i somewhat missed on Varèse's "Commando" release... - any chance for a re-issue, Roger & Doug?) :mrgreen:

Again, thank you Intrada for this absolute top Horner grail of mine - done in the best possible way. No one does it better!!!

Best,
Burnie

P.S. Coconut Joe - please reconsider and keep enlightning us with your presence!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:28 pm 

[quote="Startracks"][quote="GOLDSMITHDAKING"]Il pass on this one.The album is too short and the music itself is almost identical to Commando and Red Heat.James Horner is a great composer but he sure does rip himself off a great deal![/quote]

You are forgetting Gorky Park along with Commando and Red Heat.[/quote]

Regardless of the sound-a-like nature of James Horner's scores to GORKY PARK, COMMANDO and RED HEAT, 48 HRS should really stand out as the birthing point for his '80's, jazz fusioned styled, urban-action music. As such, and maybe I'm in a small handful of folks here who feel this way, but it is much more interesting and less muddled than all of the other scores that came after it and truly shines as an exquisite example of Horner's earliest abilities as a burgeoning film composer. On this score he tried something NEW and it worked out incredibly well. Well enough, that is, that he only used it's themes, structurally speaking, on a few other films (Chris Young borrowed them once on his score to 1985's AVENGING ANGEL) and on nothing beyond ANOTHER 48 HRS, and that was way back in 1990. Of all of his "musical templates," this is one that I sure wish that he'd of revisited more often, that's for sure. Then again, maybe that's why this sounds as enduring as it does, as it was never really overused, like most of his themes have been. Again, I might be on a short list of those who appreciate Horner's style here.

BTW - no one is talking about Ira Newborn's rambunctious contribution to this soundtrack, but of all the cue titles on this release, "TORCHY'S BOOGIE" has given my speakers most of the workout. I'd almost forgotten that it was included on the CD, so when it came on it's style was a complete surprise and, not to mention, a delightful departure from the rest of the tracks. Truly awesome, so thanks for including it, INTRADA. :)

Matt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next