[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Conan The Barbarian (2 CD) Complete!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Conan The Barbarian (2 CD) Complete!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 am 

Nic Raine conducts the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus.
* 2 CD Set WITH 24-PAGE FULL COLOUR BOOKLET
* Featuring for the First Time the COMPLETE 100-Minute Film Score
* The Original Greig McRitchie Orchestrations
* Over 2 Hours of Music
* Includes Previously Unreleased Music
* Newly Recorded in Stunning and Dynamic Digital Sound
* Performed by the Acclaimed and Award-Winning 96-piece City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and 100-voice CPPO Chorus Conducted by Nic Raine
* Bonus Material including alternate cues and music from CONAN THE DESTROYER
* Informative and Expert Sleeve Notes by Frank K DeWald
* Booklet introduction by Zoe and Alexis Poledouris

Basil Poledouris has never been happy with both the original performance and the recording in Rome. The composer has always been very disappointed that the Rome orchestra could not provide every desired instrument he wanted in the score. This is now corrected for this new complete recording featuring 96 musicians and a choir of 100 voices.

DISC ONE:
1. PROLOGUE - FILM VERSION / ANVIL OF CROM 3:38
2. RIDDLE OF STEEL / RIDERS OF DOOM 5:32
3. THE GIFT OF FURY 3:25
4. COLUMN OF SADNESS / WHEEL OF PAIN 4:09
5. PIT FIGHTS * 2:45
6. PROLOGUE - Original Version 1:03
7. ATLANTEAN SWORD 4:00
8. WOLF WITCH * 3:21
9. THEOLOGY / CIVILIZATION 3:03
10. THE STREET OF DEVIANTS * / HOPEFULS AT THE TOWER OF SET * 1:28
11. THE TOWER OF SET * / SNAKE ATTACK * (Las Cantigas de Santa Maria) 5:20
12. INFIDELS * 1:02
13. THE TAVERN * 1:51
14. THE WIFEING 2:19
15. IN THE COURT OF KING OSRIC * 1:12
16. CONAN LEAVES VALERIA / THE SEARCH 6:02
17. THE MOUNTAIN OF POWER / CAPTURE * 3:59
18. THE TREE OF WOE / RECOVERY 6:04

Total Time: 60:21

DISC TWO:
1. THE KITCHEN / THE ORGY 6:22
2. ORGY FIGHT * 2:52
3. FUNERAL PYRE 5:15
4. BATTLE PREPARATIONS / BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS Part I 5:58
5. BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS Part II * 2:11
6. BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS Part III / NIGHT OF DOOM 5:55
7. HEAD CHOP * 0:53
8. ORPHANS OF DOOM / THE AWAKENING 6:28
9. EPILOGUE / END TITLES * 5:08

Bonus Tracks:
10. THEOLOGY / CIVILIZATION - Alternate Version 3:27
11. THE TOWER OF SET - Alternate Cues * 3:36
12. THE BATTLE OF THE MOUNDS Part II - Original Version * 2:10
13. CHAMBER OF MIRRORS from CONAN THE DESTROYER 7:15
14. RIDERS OF DOOM - Orchestral Version 4:06

Total Time: 61:48

* Previously unrecorded

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian (2 CD) Complete!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 am 

PASS.

One of the greatest scores of all time, whose tapes still await preservation/saving, and we get a re-recording.

Some people want a re-recording over anything over 20 years old, but not me. I can deal with mono, I can deal with something not being in prestine "recorded yesterday" ultra spectacular stereo.

I could care less what people's opinion, like Ford's are, on the hard work, effort, blah, blah, blah. Good for you. I'm sure it was hard, and I'm sure you'll turn a profit. Just not from me. I will hold out. ---Holding breath--->:oops:

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:23 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 am 

Thank you Roger.

I will gladly purchase this album. And it will be nice companion to my Varese CD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 am 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 am 

Conan IS THE BEST music ever written and composed to a movie and I will give this rerecording a go as I think the soundclips sounds amazing...i do have the Varese release too so i wont mind :)
(Highlander by Kamen is a close second)

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 am 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:18 am 

I for one am looking forward to getting this CD. Congratulations to James, Luc and evryone else involved in this release.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 am 

If it's getting the performance and recording that Poledouris only dreamed of then surely THAT is a huge, genuine, valid reason for re-recording.

I have already ordered this. Massive Conan, Poledouris, Howard fan. And a fan of just plain awesome music. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 am 

Few photos from the sessions available at:

http://www.ost.sk/reportaze/reportaz_co ... barian.php

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:56 pm 

Poledouris couldn't have the score recorded like he originally wanted, so this is indeed a very important and necessary re-recording ! Count me in !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:03 pm 

The instant negative reactions of some people (without even hearing the darn thing) can go take a hike. Personally, this is one of the best releases of 2010. I still retain hope of a complete release of the original tracks, but until that happens, I can support Tadlow and order this, and bask in the presentation that Basil Poledouris wish had been achieved in the Rome recording studio back in 1982.

This will be my very first purchase from Tadlow/Prometheus - and a great one, at that!

Luc Van de Ven, Nic Raine, James Fitzpatrick, et al... THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:29 pm 

I think the comments by Zoe and Alexis Poledouris speak volumes for this great new CD set I can not wait to get my hands on...

“A masterful translation of a film score into a symphonic piece, this recording combines the best of new recording technology
with the lushness of the full orchestra and choir our father always wanted.”

I love those videos they post for their releases too. I'm a big fan of the behind the scenes action.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:02 pm 

This is a massively important score, and I don't see why there can't be room on an enthusiasts' shelf for both the original tracks and the re-recording. One reflects what's in the film, the other what Poledouris hoped to achieve.

Tadlow's recordings are top-notch, both in terms of sonics and performance. Their recording of Lawrence of Arabia has supplanted any and all previous versions of that score for me.

When I worked at a Tower Records, we would sell copies of Conan the Barbarian whenever I would play it. It has appeal to a very large audience, and in addition to the performance issues making it a prime candidate for a re-recording, it will also hopefully serve to pave the way for future Tadlow recordings, which I for one am completely fine with.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next