[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Best Scores of the Noughties (ie, 2000s)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best Scores of the Noughties (ie, 2000s)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:47 pm 

Just a quick run-down of my ten picks, I'm too tired to think straight. Elaborations hopefully coming tomorrow. Either way, feel free to put in your $0.02! :)

2000: Sunshine (M. Jarre)
2001: The Fellowship of the Ring (H. Shore)
2002: Far From Heaven (E. Bernstein)
2003: The Return of the King (H. Shore)
2004: Troy (G. Yared)
2005: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (P. Doyle)
2006: The Nativity Story (M. Danna)
2007: Spider-Man 3 (Chr. Young)
2008: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (J. Hisaishi)
2009: Avatar (J. Horner)

PS: Mr Fake, I'm trying to remember from your corner posts your picks for those years. Mind completing the entries I've forgot or misremembered? Ta muchly!

2000: Dinosaur (J. N. Howard)
2001: The Fellowship of the Ring (H. Shore)
2002: Signs (J. N. Howard)
2003: ? (?)
2004: ? (?)
2005: Memoirs of a Geisha (J. Williams)
2006: United 93 (J. Powell)
2007: ? (?)
2008: ? (?)
2009: Avatar (J. Horner)

Post subject: Re: Best Scores of the Noughties (ie, 2000s)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:52 am 

My favorite score since 2000 is KING KONG by James Newton Howard. It has many of the subtler qualities of his scores for M. Night, with some absolutely ripping action cues, and it builds toward a truly tragic climax that is just enormous in its impact. I have listened to this one at least monthly since it was release five years ago, and I can't say that about very many other scores since '000.

I guess a runner up might be MINORITY REPORT. I am still finding little corners of sound in that score that I hadn't discovered before.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:35 pm 

I had to use wikipedia to refresh my memory for what films came out in what year!

2000: Mission To Mars (Ennio Morricone)
2001: K-PAX (Edward Shearmur)
2002: Femme Fatale (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
2003: The Core (Christopher Young)
2004: The Incredibles (Michael Giacchino)
2005: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (John Ottman)
2006: The Black Dahlia (Mark Isham)
2007: Sunshine (John Murphy and Underworld)
2008: WALL-E (Thomas Newman)
2009: Drag Me To Hell (Christopher Young)

Nice to see some love for Untraceable, Doug. It's got a nice theme, and some lovely moments despite the unrelentingly grim (aside from Diane Lane) movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:17 pm 

Nice to see some love for "WALL•E"! It's the score from the last couple of years that I've listened to the most. I find so much of it haunting and beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:28 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:51 pm 

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 pm 

Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:55 am 

2000 : The Perfect Storm (James Horner)
The music was so uplifting and intense in the climax sequences. James Horner proved once more he's the best film music "emotionalist" !
2001 : The Mummy Returns (Alan Silvestri)
One of the last big epic adventure score I can think of. Old school at its best ! This would definitely deserve a complete 2CD release because the whole missing final battle contains some of the best action/adventure scoring of the whole decade.
2002 : Treasure Planet (James Newton Howard)
This is in my opinion the best score from JNH. He's been truly inspired by Disney's last great 2D movie. This is how modern pirates movies should sound like more often !
2003 : The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions (Don Davis)
Don Davis unleashed pure electro-orchestral fury for this 2 episodes conclusion of the saga. Astounding !
2004 : Van Helsing (Alan Silvestri)
Silvestri reinvented the horror genre with terrific orchestral ideas, choirs and heroic action sequences true to the old days !
2005 : Star Wars III The Revenge of the Siths (John Williams)
Final effort for the greatest musical saga of all times. Though the album is a bit disappointing at the end, the main theme is one of the strongest of the whole saga and the heart of Star Wars is definitely there.
2006 : X-Men III The Last Stand (John Powell)
John Powell has slowly become more and more important and this score is a climax in his career (great thematic, powerful sequences) that leads today to his best score ever with Dragon.
2007 : Hairspray (Marc Shaiman)
I've rarely seen a musical with so much good songs and such powerful tunes ! Marc Shaiman has accomplished something unforgettable here. You can't stop the beat ! :wink:
2008 : Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)
Johnny is still on the top when he comes back with an old franchise. His last Indy is a great hommage to our beloved 80's music, and even takes its roots until Korngold with Indy's son's new theme !
2009 : Avatar (James Horner)
Everything has been said about this ethnic-symphonic masterpiece by James Horner which is certainly the apothesis of the decade and of James Horner's whole career ! Eternal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:10 am 

2000: Chicken Run by Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell
2001: The Mists of Avalon by Lee Holdridge
2002: I am Dina. This is my story by Marco Beltrami
2003: Matrix Revolutions by Don Davis
2004: Ladies in Lavender by Nigel Hess
2005: Aegis by Trevor Jones
2006: El laberinto del fauno (Pan’s Labyrinth) by Javier Navarrete
2007: Las 13 Rosas by Roque Banos
2008: The Stoning of Soraya M. by John Debney
2009: Cracks by Javier Navarrete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:40 am 

Pan's Labyrinth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:34 pm 

yo. yo. yo!

I already compiled THE list.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/a ... ECADE.html (click on link below)

NO FURTHER DISCUSSION is neccessary!

next topic :mrgreen:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]