[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Dave Grusin's "Heaven Can Wait"

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dave Grusin's "Heaven Can Wait"
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Pity that Dave Grusin's wonderful, charming score for Heaven Can Wait has never been released; it's one of those old favorites of mine. I haven't thought about this score or the movie for ages but just happened to come across an article about Warren Beatty where the movie was mentioned.

I haven't seen the movie in over 20 years, but I'm pretty sure it's a rather short score. Heaven Can Wait was very tastefully spotted, a romantic fantasy comedy that doesn't wallop wall-to-wall in stereotypical "romantic" music, many cues are very short and I don't know if they could actually stand on their own (or perhaps in a suite), so it's not really a prime candidate for a special soundtrack release but dang, the film features one of Dave Grusin's most inspired themes. While reading that article I didn't get that bouncy main theme out of my head, even though I haven't heard it in more than two decades.

I just googled a little bit; is seems the theme has been re-recorded a couple of times, but the actual version as heard in the movie (with soprano saxophone) I haven't found. Pity indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 am 

Post subject: How about My Bodyguard?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:15 am 

I loved his score for My Bodyguard as well which has never been released in any shape, manner or form. I finally bought the DVD and ripped the opening and closing titles plus a few minutes in the middle. Its a shame his soundtracks are so under represented on CD releases

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:17 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
And it's quite ironic, too, considering that Dave Grusin is actually a composer and performer who is -- unlike many film composers -- quite known outside of film music circles and has a lot of not film related albums out. In fact, I don't have any film music by Dave Grusin on CD, but several jazz albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 pm 

Location: A woefully erstwhile Californian currently living in St. Petersburg, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 am 

Grusin's scores to HEAVEN CAN WAIT, TOOTSIE, ON GOLDEN POND and MURDER BY DEATH all need CD releases. Wonderful scores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:27 pm 

While I've never cared for much of Grusin's work, I do love his main theme for the 1968 (or so) THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER; also the wonderful cue that follows the Main Title. That's a film worth seeking out.

The LP had a Japanese CD issue a few years ago. But as it's Warner Bros., FSM might reissue it sometime.

Post subject: Dave Grusin's "Heaven Can Wait" already sold out
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 am 

Shocking... now, Heaven Can Wait has been released, has already sold out... and I almost missed out on it. (Well, almost... fortunately, I did not.)

I have waited for years for an official release of this score. Ironically, the very first thing I read about this Kritzerland release was in my Facebook stream... a short notice "Heaven Can Wait is sold out." I was aghast! Really, this charming score is infectious and very much a personal favorite of mine. This past week I was on the road quite a bit (in Dublin and Berlin), so I did not have all that much time to check up on who is releasing what. (I really appreciate the way Intrada is releasing limited editions these days.)

Luckily, I managed to order a copy just in time right here on the Intrada site. (Otherwise I'd have been %&%$*§!! )

http://kritzerland.com/heavenWait_moon.htm

Post subject: Re: Dave Grusin's "Heaven Can Wait"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:45 am 

Congratulations, Nicolai! It's always great to see a grail landed, and in time -- even someone else's!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:35 am 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 am 
I am extremely thankful for these two gorgeous scores being released.

I love all facets of Grusin's sound, even though I admittedly gravitate more towards older works like Winning, Mr. Billion, Assignment: Vienna, Eddie Coyle and Halls of Anger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:03 pm 
Amazing sound on this Grusin twofer. Racing with the Moon is definitely the highlight for me, with its excellent blend of Grusin's beautiful sweep and big band excitement. The Billy May conducted source tracks contain the best renditions of "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" and "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" that I've yet to hear.

A fantastic release all-around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:49 am 

Looking forward to listen to it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next