[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's NIGHT CROSSING

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's NIGHT CROSSING
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:31 pm 

INTRADA
Announces:

NIGHT CROSSING
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 280

Intrada's latest release revisits its first Disney project -- the 1982 Jerry Goldsmith score to Night Crossing. Covering a dramatic range of ideas, Goldsmith's score expresses both the menace and aggression of the East German locale and the soaring aspirations of two families hoping to escape from it. The score is one of Goldsmith's busiest and throughout the action material the strings, woodwinds and piano are given an abundance of swirling, running figures that race over, under and around the thematic material. Comprised of three primary themes, the first introduces the theme for the oppressive East German military machine, a driving line of powerful brass and snarling string figures unfolding over the percussion motif and then in the trombones and tuba. The use of accordion introduces the second theme with a gentle and distant feel -- a delicate waltz setting for the families that hope to build a balloon and escape from their cold environment. The third and primary theme, tackles the central subject of the film: building, testing and launching the balloon needed for the escape. The melody appears in a wide range of instrumental colors, from a delicate flute solo over harp figures to a glorious and impassioned musical finale for the entire orchestra at the close.

To restore the entire score, Intrada revisited the original ½” 15 I.P.S. Dolby A-encoded three-channel session masters engineered at EMI Abbey Road by Eric Tomlinson, making new digital stereo mixes of every sequence. In addition to a few alternates appearing for the first time, an important change between this new CD and the earlier release should be noted. This change comes with those all-important pauses that occur between the many bars of solo percussion. The earlier release included numerous edits of both the percussion and intervening silences and lent a degree of forward momentum to the respective cues, but also truncated the important, rhythmically timed pauses that generated much of the suspense. This particular “percussion and pause” motif, including the meticulously timed silences between the phrases, occurs throughout the score. As such, for this release Intrada retained Goldsmith’s original unaltered cues, including the exact timings of the silences integral to the musical effect. Listeners familiar with the earlier edition will probably have to become used to the longer, more deliberate pacing of these “percussion and pauses” sections of the score, but—once having done so—will no doubt find rewards in the rhythmic architecture of Goldsmith’s original structure.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 280
Retail Price: $19.99
Available NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8754/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's NIGHT CROSSING
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:36 pm 

Never saw the movie and never picked up any previous CD, so it's all new Goldsmith to me. :)

Ordered (in the near future after payday)!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

This was OOP when I started collecting and has always been one of my most sought after scores. I can't wait to finally get my hands on it, thanks Intrada! Awesome cover art too!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:22 pm 

For various reasons I never got any of the previous releases of this great Goldsmith score, I'm really thrilled to be able to order it now. Thanks to everybody at Intrada! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:38 pm 

THE most wished for score ever...thanks to all the guys at Intrada...Like some other folks I missed out on the previous release of this score so ordering this cd was the quickest thing I have done in years...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:42 pm 

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful ... THANKS for revisiting this one, Doug! (And Roger, and Joe, et al.! :) )

Last edited by John Takis on Wed May 28, 2014 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:08 pm 

No mention of who did the notes...since Mr. Takis didn't claim credit, any chance Jeff Bond did the honors again? Just curious as I'm buying this no matter what!

Yavar

Last edited by Yavar Moradi on Mon May 26, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:09 pm 

Wow, this is one Goldsmith release that I've heard more people beg for a reissue than any other. Samples sound great!! I will order this in the very near future, because it's a new Goldsmith for me. ^^ Great job, Intrada!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:48 pm 

Needless to reiterate, this is one of Goldsmith's most beautiful, breathtaking scores.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:40 am 

Doug & Co, WoW this excellent score has finally come back home.
Many many thanks for revisting this Goldsmith gem.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 am 

This is easily one of the best symphony Jerry ever wrote ! The flying theme is here next to John Williams' own flying theme of the same year as the most soaring pieces of music ever composed.
Oh and I think it's the first time I guessed a title right and first ! :mrgreen:
Thank you Doug and Roger for making us live our passion !

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 am 

this is one if my most beloved soundtrack, have both former versions and ordered this one in a seceond. thanks to Doug and company for the rerelease and bringing this music to people never got a chance to hear this before.

i have no words describing this music, for me, music can't get better than this. this should be an instant buy for all people interested in orchestral music.

close your eyes and jerry takes you on a journey so beautiful and elevating , you believe to be taken up in the sky, thru the clouds and into freedom.
he composed a wonderful musical surrounding and than he takes you even further and releases you into even more beauty.
still can't believe how he does it. for me it is his most touching music that brings tears in my eyes.

composing this music jerry must been kissed by the muse (more than normal ;) ) .

thanks intrada for making this gem availible again.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:19 pm 

This is such an excellent score! I'm very excited to see this back in print, as it's a favorite of mine as well. So many people will finally be able to add this title to their own collections and relish in one of Goldsmith's most wonderful of the period - in fact, one of the best over the course of his long and lustrous career. Thank you so much Intrada, Disney, and of course the sorely-missed Mr. Goldsmith himself. Mr. Sikoryak - you've yet again done a spectacular job in cleaning up the artwork and presenting us with a fresh package for 2014! Thank you. And to all for making this available again. Ordered.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 pm 

As stated several times before "Night Crossing" is powerful and sublimely beautiful. I must comment on the sound, one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. Makes the previous two releases sound antiquated. If you want this score with superb sound order it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:43 pm 

The phonics on this new edition of NIGHT CROSSING are fabulous! Haven't enjoyed hearing a remaster this much since THE WIND AND THE LION and La La Land's STAR TREK- THE MOTION PICTURE. Like hearing a whole new score with the added orchestral detail. Thanks to all at Intrada for such great attention to a Goldsmith classic!

SCOTT

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next