[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Looking for feedback on 2min soundtrack for "Alien"

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for feedback on 2min soundtrack for "Alien"
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:44 am 

Hi all,
I hope its okay to post this here, im doing a short 2 min soundtrack for "Alien" (1991) , and have got thus far, I am not very good at the musical thorey side of things so i have gone down the sample/manipulation of sound route.

Could really do with some feedback and some suggestions on what im doing wrong, or maybe right. Ive tried to do spotting with an orchestral stab sound for the door and have left silences in when it is not the shaft scene. (so not to overdo it with the sound)

Thanks again for your time in having a look/listen.
(p.s I hope this is the right place to post this!)

Here is a link to my video

here is the original in which to compare.

Post subject: Re: Looking for feedback on 2min soundtrack for "Alien"
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:40 am 

So what's the punch line?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 am 

Best I can tell, he's trying to sell Roger another kitchen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am 

wait... this is not the kitchen selling forum....

Lovely Geiger kitchen for sale..

In all seriousness... Is this not the place to post this? Im looking to get some feedback on this before i submit it next week and figured this would be the place to get some constructive critisim. Am in the wrong section of the forum?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:34 am 

I actually should beg your pardon for posting my flippant comment. This is probably quite the correct forum. I guess the reason my sarcasm kicked in was that you got the year wrong (the film is from 1979), and the score that was already written for the film is so iconic (see my avatar).

With that said, I really can't comment on the music track you posted, simply because I do revere Jerry's original so much that my opinion would be unnecessarily skewed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:47 am 

Fair enouth.. oh god did i really write '91! :oops: doh!

Maybe i should rephrase what im trying to do. Its for a class in an area im not perticurly skilled in, im not looking to make a better one just looking to get some feedback if what I have done could be considerd to support the piece thorestically? I dont know how to write for strings but i do know how to manipulate sound, so this is what ive done. Even to me its not very good, so i was hoping to get some kind of comment like... "The resonant cymbal sound works but its too random try having it increase in volume" or "that cymbal thing doesnt work, try adding a string piece in d flat"

If you cant look at my work, perhaps you might know some information in regards to what happened to the soundtrack? Ive found some information that the original soundtrack was rejected by Ripley Scott and he used a piece from Goldmans previous work on the film "Freud" (1962) , which goldman then re-recorded with the Philharmonic Orchestra. Now my question is, do you know of any referential sources to prove this? I can only find websites that say this and the one book i do have on the subject doesn't mention it at all. Also is this even correct?

And thanks for the pardon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 am 

Intrada's own liner notes to their peerless reissue of Goldsmith's original score are pretty authoratative. And then you'd own one of the best soundtracks ever!

The music from Freud was a temp track that Ridley Scott unfortunately ended up using in the finished film, rather than the (awesome) cue that Jerry wrote for the scene. It wasn't re-recorded, which is why the entire acoustic dynamic of the soundtrack changes in that scene. But that, I guess, is what Scott was looking for.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]