[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Holy Grail Cues

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Holy Grail Cues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm 

So I'm not talking about entire scores or nearly entire scores that haven't been released, but score albums that just omitted some to die for stuff. Here are a few off the top of my head. The main title to the Summer of 42 is stunning. It's ironic that a Summer of 42 "soundtrack" has more music from a different film and only two source cues from the film. There's not much score in the film, but that main title is really EVERYTHING. At over five minutes, with it's intimate scoring and nostalgic harmonic. It's a stand out composition in Michel Legrand's career.

Then there's the chase sequence in Under Fire, right after Nick Nolte's character gets murdered. There's the department store chase sequence from Gremlins. And the melancholy music after the kids return from space in EXPLORERS.

What else?

Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Cues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:10 pm 

Hmmmm....

I can think of Jerry Goldsmith's track after he kills Gary Oldman and they're about the free Jurgen Prochnow from the Russian prison he's being held in which is glaringly absent from Varese's CD.

The Bridge Chase from Chain Reaction where Keanu Reeves is being chased Fugitive style in Chicago's Madison Street Bridge along with his escape.

U.S. Marshals has the lengthy tracks after The Front Gate, while in pursuit of Wesley Snipes' character by Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Downey, Jr.

Terminal Velocity has for me the track after the Ariel Ballet after Charlie Sheen (winning) has broken into the plant via parachute and sneaks around looking for information. Wonderfully scored by McNeely.

Die Hard 2 is missing amongst other things two important cues. One where Bruce Willis has gotten to Franco Nero in the airplane and William Sadler and his mercs throw grenades into the cockpit and Willis ejects before it blows up. Then of course is the fight on the wing with Willis and Sadler and Willis gets beat up purposely so get the fuel gage open and then the big kaboom! Varese really missed the boat on that one.

A Simple Plan is missing a terrific action cue which was mentioned years ago in FSM's print magazine called Snowmobile which is also sorely missed on the album amongst the few from the score.

Vertical Limit is missing a great cue more like a march where Chris O'Donnell and company head to the helicopter and the group encounters Izabella Scorupico and also soon after that the action oriented Helicopter Dropoff cue which also missing on the album.

Primal Fear has a short great cue for me that features Terence Blanchard's wonderful solo trumpet as Richard Gere's character in the film goes through a rather depressed state just before he has to question Edward Norton's character.

That's what comes to mind for me for now at least. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 am 

The cue from the scene in The Fog where Mrs. Williams and her assistant drive up to the church to visit Father Malone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:58 am 

I'd say the dolphins-swimming-by-the-boat cue from Cocoon.

A great sense of adventure, and it really captures the thrill of the water spraying in your face as the dolphins are swimming alongside the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:03 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:24 am 

"Star Trek: First Contact"
What one fan-made tracklist nicely calls "Flight of the Pheonix / Death of a Queen"; the climactic cue from the end of the film (Joel's doing); there's a sadly edited version for sample at Joel's site, but the whole thing is in the film, and the bootleg.

I would have gladly taken that over the two songs shoved on the GNP CD. In fact, there was room for all three. I wonder why; was this GNP's decision? Was this Jerry's (I assume Joel had little say in the album content)? Was it simply not recorded yet when hte GNP CD was produced, as happens sometimes during CDs?

"Something Wicked This Way Comes"
The LaserDisc isolated scored has a short, maybe thirty second cue that build up full of evil tension; probably one of the most evil pieces of music I've personally heard. Because of Jamie, not on the Intrada CD.

Everything, including the two wonderful source music pieces for the hotles diner, and the resturant the terror dog chases Tully to, from "Ghostbusters".

In fact, I'm not happy with the sound mix either.

Armstrong's rather surprisingly good score to "Romeo + Juliet" is missing a bunch of score, and almost every single piece on both song/score volumes released, has dialogue. This is a deserving score for proper treatment.

"Star Trek: Generations" (Dennis McCarthy)
While this is a personal favorite and I would cite all cues missing, two stand out particularly for me: the rescue of the passengers from the Nexas by Scotty during the test drive of the Enterprise B. And the Armagosa observatory kidnapping of Geordi and the shock wave destruction.

I know Gerhard meant well, but I was disappointed to find somewhere about half the score from the "Batman: The Animated Series" episode "Two Face" missing.

The terrible presentation of "The Sandlot" as a whole needs fixing, from Varese.

That's enough for now, I think.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 am 

OK Roger...does this qualify as it had some score tracks on the LP release but missed out on the theme kicking in at 1,10 min into this clip ;)
Or how about the theme 8,55 into the clip that also was M.I.A...

or 9,35 into this clip

THIS IS A GRAIL :)

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:24 pm 

Whenever I watch these movies, these parts I just tend to rewatch over and over for the tunes, so I guess they count...

Cursed - the moment when Judy Greer (mmmmmmm) wolfs out. Beltrami's cue has a sultry and menacing tone to it.

From Dusk Til Dawn - when a legless vampire sneak-crawls up to Juliette Lewis. Revell's cue is also menacing and yet playful too, making wonderful use of low stringed dissonance.

Heaven Can Wait - those end credits... Nuff. Bleeping. Said.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - "Chasing the Surfer", I guess is its name. I should just get this album already.

Explorers - I call it the "Youth Theme". It's the tender ascending motif played four times in the film (mostly when Dick Miller is involved). It's so dreamy.

Transformers G1 - since it's stock music, I don't know the name, but I remember it was used during the climax of the Dinobot Island episode, as well as the one where a human trucker outraces Wheeljack and knocks him off a cliffside road.

Death Race - I don't know the name of the cue, so maybe a generous soul could help me out so I can get the Amazon mp3 (the samples don't help me, I tried): the Dreadnaught scene. Especially the propulsive ending... makes me wanna... eat several puppies! RIGHT IN FRONT OF SARAH MCLACHLAN'S DOE-EYED FACE!!! YAY YAEEEEY!!!! :twisted:

Revenge of the Sith - the full version of "Battle of Coruscant". I would use the midichlorians to bring those eaten puppies back to life to get this cue.

The most elusive one of them all is one I don't know of the composer, movie, year, nada. What I've heard so far only lasts a few seconds, but I'd throw my wallet at whomever releases the whole score. The only clues I have are:

1. It's sort of a James Bondish danger motif, with two matching, ascending high pitch melodies followed by four full orchestra beats in succession.
2. It was used in both a teaser for MTV's 90s show The State, as well as an intro cue for Liquid Television's Stevie & Zoya.

If I ever find this, I would lose my head. Which the zombie puppies will eat. Ironic. I could save them... but not myself. :twisted:

Sunbow/Marvel cartoon scores (Johnny Douglas)
The Big Picture
Blame It on Rio
An American Werewolf in London/Thriller
The Last Boy Scout
My Science Project
A Brief History of Time
Troy (Yared)
The Withces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:03 pm 

Three of my holy grail cues have been mentioned already:
-the Michigan Ave./bridge chase in Chain Reaction
-"Flight of the Phoenix" from Star Trek: First Contact
-the Enterprise-B and Amargosa Observatory/phaser fight music from Star Trek: Generations

Also:

From Executive Decision: the music that accompanies the landing of the plane and the approach of the Remora stealth craft

From Star Trek: Nemesis - much of the space battle music as well as the music that accompanies the discovery of the positronic signal, the launch of the Argo, and Picard's "I wait for the dawn" log entry

There's still almost ten minutes of score from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure that's missing from the Burton/Elfman set (including Pee-Wee walking to the truck stop after Large Marge drops him off, Andy's intro, the fiesta music during the Andy chase, and the studio gate/lot material).

Most of the other scores mentioned, I haven't seen the films enough times to say what I'm missing. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:03 pm 

The latter portion of the "Ultimate War" sequence from John Williams' HOOK -- particularly everything from when the Lost Boys break out the clocks, to when the croc tower falls. Without this on the album, the score is simply robbed of its climax.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:24 pm 

You're right about The Sandlot, that should've had at least 40 min on that War of the Roses CD and it would've only missed 10 minutes. Varese blew that one.

I thought of some more.

Mouse Hunt is missing some stupendous music my favorite however is after Nathan Lane and Lee Evans' house is completely destroyed they leave disheartened and as the mouse escapes under it. It's a jazzy cue that is a little bit of a lullaby which easily would've fit on the album.

Quick And The Dead is missing the frenetic gunfight montage or the high noon theme if you want to call it that. Along with the great tension building cue for Sharon Stone's first gunfight.

Outbreak is missing a great desperation escape cue as a few people from the town in that movie try escape from the containment. Howard's scoring was excellent.

Knight And Day has a great tango fight cue after the opening credits on the empty airplane as Tom Cruise takes out his would be assassins while Cameron Diaz is in the bathroom. Fun score.

Soldier is missing the complete Prologue and Main Titles which introduces Kurt Russell's character along with other soldiers in trainings and during their war battles. Then is followed by the complete and heavily edited Old Soldiers Vs. New Soldiers and then The Chain Fight which run longer in the film together.

Crimson Tide is missing the Main Title but some of it is reprised somewhat throughout the score, but it would've been a nice start to the album.

The Rock is also missing Hans Zimmer's rather somber and elegetic Main Title which is also known as Hummel's Theme for Ed Harris' character some of it is heard in the score later but the Main Title statement is more upfront.

Black Rain is missing the great finale as Michael Douglas and Ken Takakura exchange goodbyes and a special gift for him to open. Wonderful piece by Zimmer that is sorely missed on the album which would've ended the suite alot better in my view.

Carlito's Way is missing a great little shootout cue where Al Pacino's cousin is killed and then takes out his attackers swiftly and quickly with some great action by Patrick Doyle to back him up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:46 am 

The "supporting cast" cue from the credits sequence of Battlestar Galactica. It was not included in the 4CD box produced as a promo for the composer. Hopefully Intrada will be able to include this piece in the new series of score CDs from the series.

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:34 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next