[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Scores that initially only got song albums

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Scores that initially only got song albums
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:13 pm 

I remember the mid-80s quite well -- great scores accompanied by great disappointments while roaming the aisles of Tower Records. 1984 seemed particularly bad. Hearing Conti's great music in the trailers to KARATE KID, then seeing the film with its great Americana main title, then seeing the LP at the store...WHAT? No score...at all? Then came GHOSTBUSTERS -- just two tracks, really?? I kind of hoped the "Theme from Ghostbusters" was the opening cue in the library, but that was crazy thinking. Then came GREMLINS. Really -- a mini LP? 1985 was not much better. THE GOONIES...just the end title? No main title even? BACK THE FUTURE -- 12 minutes? GOTCHA -- two tracks.

1986 brought KARATE KID II. Watching the powerful storm sequence, then racing back to the Intrada store to crack the shrink wrap on the LP to hear that track...and it was some electronic sludge nothing like what was heard in the film.

Any others? Many of these have been addressed in recent years (hallelujah!), but there's still some work to be done.

Roger

Post subject: Re: Scores that initially only got song albums
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm 

I remember seeing Jack Nitzsche's name on the poster for William Friedkin's Cruising so I pre-ordered the LP from a music shop. When it finally came time to pick it up I found the recording was loaded with punk rock music that I had no interest in. Barre Phillip's The Day Moon, used as the main title wasn't even on the damn thing. Plus, the back cover had some film stills of some really freaked out looking Village People from hell kind of guys. I swear to this day the fat girl at the counter gave me a dirty look. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:13 pm 

Well, Intrada fixxed the big one when releasing Rocky IV by DiCola, and now we only need the rest of the Rocky saga (Part 5 anyone)
We have my most desired score Love at First Bite that got only 3 tracks from Charles Bernstein and the Disco songs (missing that fabolous Maintitle theme)
Top Gun , Beverly Hills Cop, Scarface, Over the Top, Cobra, Ghostbusters 2, Marked for Death, Road House and Fright Night (the best song album i.m.o) etc are some from the 80´s that misses the score released too

Roger, if you like start checking of this list, one title at the time :)

edit: how could I forget HIGHLANDER :) (but this had like Gremlins a release but with only a pint of music...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:25 pm 
How about two Silvestri scores from the 90's folks:

Blown Away & The Long Kiss Goodnight?

Each sdtk has only 1 or 2 tracks by Silvestri I believe. There's others but I can't think of them right now... :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:51 pm 

Georges Delerue - Twins (1988)

Has one track (half the main title) on the song album. This score needs the Intrada treatment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:30 pm 

Until Intrada rescued Stay Tuned, I had replayed the two score tracks on the CD over and over. Now, I can give that disc a rest--not that I've anything against Salt 'N Pepa. :)

Speaking of the 80's though, where was the incredible soundtrack release to The Legend of Billie Jean? That movie continues to get the shaft--why, not even a DVD release! Mark Safan's "Closing In" is a superb song.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:38 am 

There was BATMAN; first a Prince album with no score, and weeks later a separate Danny Elfman CD.

Then there's 1998 or '99 PLAYING BY HEART. I had read that John Barry had scored it, but when the disc hit stores there were (I think) only two Barry cues within an album of songs. I didn't bother with that. Fortunately, a Decca CD appeared later with Barry's entire, largely unused score, featuring a gorgeous main theme with solo trumpet by Chris Botti, whom I had never heard. A poignant secondary melody, though (introduced as "A Game of Hide and Seek"), is so beautiful that it made me rent the DVD to learn whether the movie was worthy of the cue. To me it wasn't -- but a signature Barry work lives on with that CD.

I have never watched the notorious HOWARD THE DUCK but am ready for Intrada to rescue that score, based on years of reading praise from fans. Also, will we ever get Goldsmith's THE LONELY GUY beyond the three slight tracks released with America songs?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 am 

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:47 am 

I want both Cobra and Over the Top, too! Great scores. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 am 

There`s a lot of soundtracks to films scored by Graeme Revell that got song albums. Many of those got only one or two score tracks.

However my first thought when reading the topic was actually Long Kiss Goodnight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:52 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:09 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 am 

Cobra
Over the Top
Fright Night

I still own the cassettes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:24 am 

Would love if Intrada could do a release of the various artist album to FRIGHT NIGHT like they did with MANHUNTER.

FRIGHT NIGHT is my favourite various artis album along with ROCKY IV, OVER THE TOP and COBRA.

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:34 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next