[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL/10 NORTH FREDERICK

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL/10 NORTH FREDERICK
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:29 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL
Composed by SOL KAPLAN

10 NORTH FREDERICK
Composed by LEIGH HARLINE

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 176

20th Century Fox's The House On Telegraph Hill (1951) is a woman-in-jeopardy tale that begins deep in noir territory, offering a protagonist telling her own story in flashback and almost immediately confessing to the sin that sets the plot gears grinding: she has stolen the identity of a dead woman. Sol Kaplan's score features echoes of Miklos Rozsa (a virtuoso of noir tension) and Herrmann (a virtuoso of tension period) and that's no accident: Kaplan is working firmly in a tradition of which these two were the masters. For all its dazzling versatility what particularly distinguishes Sol Kaplan’s music is its fine-tuned strangeness—its tone of taut yet almost other-worldly eeriness.

Leigh Harline’s score for Ten North Frederick hints at something possibly worse: knowing that everything has already happened, and there’s nothing that can be done to change it. He cleverly begins with a cue that might, at first listen, seem like the opener for a Disney film: a genial piece of modern Americana. But then during the last few bars of the cue, a subtle modulation to minor chording suggests that all is not right. The lonely yearning of the main character becomes the central inspiration for this brief but almost inexpressibly poignant score. Ten North Frederick (1958 is a melodrama focusing on the tragic private life of an ambitious politician -- more bitter than sweet, a startlingly resigned story about a middle-aged man (Gary Cooper) whose half-hearted attempts to run for lieutenant governor are dashed by a series of domestic problems that eventually find him hitting the bottle.

This release is limited to 1000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 176
Retail Price: $19.99
AVAILABLE NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7182/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL/10 NORTH FREDE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 pm 

Ordered!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 pm 

Very, very nice. Glad to have guessed another one, well at least half of the release. Thanks for more noir Intrada! ORDERED!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm 

Where's Niall from Ireland at? I know the guy loves these classic 50's scores.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 pm 

The Kaplan score sounds dark and angry (just the way I like it), but I have to say that the Harline just sounds sublime. I'm looking forward to getting this. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 pm 

Some Kaplan's cues are really good for me, but Harline's work is wonderfully pleasant to listen. Thanks and congrats to 50's fans. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 pm 

The samples are very, very attractive. This is next on my Intrada plate.

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm 

Was The House on Telegraph Hill mastered from a lossy source? I'm getting a large dip in the frequency response.

Just curious

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:07 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:50 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:54 am 

House On Telegraph Hill is one of my favorite releases in Intrada's series of Fox scores so far (and I have all the CDs! :D ). Sol Kaplan was a real master. This score must have impressed the Fox music department very much. Parts of it remind me of the new score written for the Lost in Space episode "The Derelict".

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:17 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:46 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next