[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - John Barry R.I.P.

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: John Barry R.I.P.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 am 

I'm saddened to the bone. More than I think I would be.

Barry's music had always special meaning to me. Especially the more introspective scoring assignments like The Tamarind Seed, Out of Africa and Somewhere in Time were jewels to play, music to have you engulfed! I happy to have met him a couple of times. We had a great talk during the interview I had with the man in 1998 (I think) and Barry thought me more on film scoring in that half an hour than anyone ever could.

And of course our first meeting - with his deep voice "John Barry" and mine "John Bijl" - always is a moment to bring a smile to face. I felt like a rocket! A great guy, very willing to talk about his art and the beauty of his craft. His music will always be played in my house. And my mind.

NP: Out of Africa.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 am 

R.I.P. John Barry. What a master. Now playing 'Dances with Wolves'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 am 

RIP John Barry.

Watching the Bond films on TV, when ABC aired them on a regular basis, was always a blast because of Barry's music and was very influential in getting me interested in film scores.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 am 

Wow... I had forgotten that ABC was basically the "Bond Network" for a while there!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 am 

Heartbroken.

As my Avatar suggests,
I am indeed a big fan, since I was a little kid, of Mr. Barry's music,
with BOND and THE BLACK HOLE, being the scores which got me interested in his music, and are still my favourites of his to this day.

On hearing of his passing, I started playing some of his music on the hi-fi at home:

the first piece I played was: BOND LURED TO PYRAMID from MOONRAKER - the most beautiful, ethereal-sounding piece of scoring that I've ever heard,
I followed that by playing other Bond scoring, and the themes from: DANCES WITH WOLVES, OUT OF AFRICA, ZULU, BORN FREE, RAISE THE TITANIC,
my relatives at home here, were stunned at what they were listening to,
and they seemed quite amazed by just HOW INCREDIBLE his music was,
I think they finally understood WHY I love soundtrack music so much. :wink: :D

Last edited by Neil on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 pm 

One of my favorite John Barry scores, The Dove is a really beautiful work, full of optimism, love and good will. Somewhere In Time, Zulu, Mercury Rising, a few of my favorites. He really had a knack for translating the entire range of human emotion into musical sound.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 pm 

I played both CHAPLIN and DANCES WITH WOLVES today. This is a terrible sad time.

Hopefully, we will make his music live forever.

Thank you, John Barry, for the art you did bring to the world.

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm 

Now that a couple of days have passed...

It has just been a very sad week. Since the announcement, my area's local classical station has been playing several John Barry scores. From Dances With Wolves to The Last Valley... Lion in Winter to Chaplin...

I too have been on a John Barry week... He really did write some wonderful music. :( And, as stated before, his music will be with us forever.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3