[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - John Barry R.I.P.

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: John Barry R.I.P.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 am 

Apparently, John Barry passed away sometime on January 30. David Arnold has confirmed the news on his Twitter feed. This is, needless to say, very sad news. I was actually just discussing Barry and his importance with my father earlier today (he'd seen Body Heat on TV). I expect more details and some proper obits will be published soon, but in the meantime ... R.I.P., maestro. You'll be deeply missed.

Post subject: Re: John Barry R.I.P.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:05 am 

It is no secret John Barry's music was the music most precious to me. I am understandably sad and reflective.

Peace to all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 am 

RIP, the missus and I are shocked and saddened.
I just played OHMSS for awhile this very evening for no
good reason at all....

It breaks my heart that Hollywood treated him the way it
did in the end, much like Jarre, and there was no 'grand
finale' to his career.

We'll always love the man and his music.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am 

Heartbroken.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 am 

Absolutely gutted. I'm listening to SOMEWHERE IN TIME right now. So thankful for all of the wonderful music he left us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 am 

I've just read the news via the BBC UK heart attack 8-( very sad and heartbroken Mr. Barry was one of my favorite composers. a sad day and a very bad way to start the week :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 am 

This is so sad, I was never fortunate enough to meet John, but I've loved his music since I saw Zulu in the early 60's.

He was a great composer, one of the best, a legend and his music will last forever.

Today, I don't feel like I'm reading about the death of a stranger, this feels more like the passing of a friend.

My thoughts and sympathy go to his family at this very sad time.

RIP John.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 am 

He had one HELL of a run while he could be bothered dealing with the movie scoring thing. My impression was that his last years were spent as he chose to spend them - hope that's true. His best work seemed effortless, as though it was just there in his head ready to write down. So did his worst, actually.

Gonna go play "Swept From the Sea" now.

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 am 

One of the truly great composers in the history of film music. What a legacy of beautiful and rich scores he has left us. I feel heartbroken.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:59 am 

Not another one lost. Truly a sad day. All my Barry scores are now treasures. God bless him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 am 

Incredible... Yesterday, I was actually listening to Robin & Marian, Out of Africa and Somewhere in Time, almost to tears, and I was telling myself how gifted he was for writing moving music.
Another star in the sky that'll shine forever...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 am 

Listening to Barry's Alice in Wonderland right now, an under-appreciated work with an unexpectedly melancholy side. "Curiouser and Curiouser" is haunting and beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:09 am 

Another part of my youth gone. I remember going to see Zulu with some school mates, & I think my first soundtrack LP was Goldfinger. What a talent, what a life! Whatever "it" is, John Barry had it, he could do more with two notes than some composers can do with two thousand, & what a body of work he leaves behind. I was a bit shocked when I heard this morning, but not that surprised, he looked so frail a few years ago when receiving some award. Thank you Intrada for releasing The Last Valley & Mary Queen Of Scots. I think I'll listen to The Beyondness Of Things album, such great music.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 am 

In attempting to explain the effect this man's passing has had on me to someone who is not a film music aficionado, the best way that I could think of to put it was that it was our equivalent to finding out that one of the Beatles had died.

My very first album was a copy of The Black Hole that I got for Christmas one year.

The Maestro will be missed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 am 

Rest in peace, JB.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next