[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - AIR FORCE ONE - Goldsmith & McNeely vs. Randy Newman

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: AIR FORCE ONE - Goldsmith & McNeely vs. Randy Newman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 pm 

Having the rejected score, I can't help but like it. However, I think it is totally wrong for the film. This is just not the type of film that Newman excels at, and I love Randy Newman. Anyone else care to share an opinion?

Post subject: Re: AIR FORCE ONE - Goldsmith & McNeely vs. Randy Newman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 pm 

I totally agree. I have a copy of Newman's score also and although it sounds great and is a solid piece of music in it's own right, it doesn't fit the film very well. I'm not familiar with the backstory on what happened during post-production, but I feel like the producers, studio or whomever made that call, made the right executive decision! (sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to make a blatant reference). :D The next step is to release a legit, complete score soundtrack from the film containing all of Goldsmith and McNeeley's music. Good stuff!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm 

I like Goldsmith's score, for the most part, with the obvious action cue, and main title theme being favorite pieces (I've never given the score a fair listen as a whole).

I thought Newman's score was wrong for the film, too, and didn't help it. Someone posted a few clips on YouTube restoring his score, (I think they're gone now), and it just didn't work.
And I found it annoying the "City of Lights" theme in the score. Composed by Van Dyke Parks for "The Brave Little Toaster" songs, used by relative David in the score, and somehow found it's way into AF1. Odd.

As good as Jerry's score was, can you jsut imagine what it would have been like it he had more time to do it?

And it it just me, or does the theme sound almost exactly like the Rambo theme, except in a different key, and with an latered note and added note around the end?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm 

THANKS ALOT, THAR!!! Now everytime I listen to AF1, I'm going to picture Stallone kicking Gary Oldham's ass! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:48 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 am 

Newman was wrong for this and his effort proved it. Goldsmith should have got the call in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 am 

I knew that when I first heard his name involved with this film, he was going to get his music thrown out. I just had that feeling because Newman yes while talented and a master of what he does best, wasn't right for this. The best thing that Wolfgang Peterson said about the score that summerized it perfectly was that he was "Mickey Mousing" the action on screen.

What Goldsmith and McNeely did in less than six weeks was nothing short of a marvel. Yes, I agree that Goldsmith should've been the one who should've gotten this film in the first place but then again he was probably overbooked when the film was available to be scored. At least that's one error that Petersen did correct but you definitely can't forgive him for rejecting Gabriel Yared's Troy which was a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:27 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:48 pm 

Can't stand the film. I watched maybe ten minutes of it and wasn't interested enough to watch the rest. Would have been best for everyone if they brought in some low level hack with a casio keyboard to score it and offer Jerry Goldsmith and Randy Newman better assignments other than mindless action/adventure junk. I don't care for heroics in film. The president of the United States doing hand to hand battle against terrorists borders on political propaganda.

Last edited by WorkingWithKnives on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm 

I watched it. It was more of a sneaking around and avoiding terrorists, with a few one-on-one knocks with the bad guy -- showing he's no fighter -- about the end.

THE PRISONER

Last edited by tharpdevenport on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:11 pm 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:10 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:37 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next