[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE GREAT ESCAPE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE GREAT ESCAPE
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 am 

"Original M-G-M Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". I HATE that! It was nothing to do with M-G-M; in 1963 this film was released thru (sic) UNITED ARTISTS. Why do the current encumbents at M-G-M try to distort and re-write Hollywood history by slapping their moniker onto something they just happened to fall heir to?

Anyway, it's good to see that the music goes on, thanks to Intrada for that...

- JMM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:29 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 am 

[quote="Roger Feigelson"][quote="James MacMillan"]"Original M-G-M Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". I HATE that! It was nothing to do with M-G-M; in 1963 this film was released thru (sic) UNITED ARTISTS. Why do the current encumbents at M-G-M try to distort and re-write Hollywood history by slapping their moniker onto something they just happened to fall heir to?

- JMM.[/quote]

Umm...because it's an MGM property now. If you bought a house from Doug Fake, would you want to keep referring to it as Doug's house or start referring to it as your house?

It just goes to prove...someone will always find something to complain about.[/quote]

A curious analogy, Roger, and you're missing the point. But... maybe you're too young to remember United Artists and what they represented back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:20 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm 

[quote="Douglass Fake"][quote="James MacMillan"]"Original M-G-M Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". I HATE that! It was nothing to do with M-G-M; in 1963 this film was released thru (sic) UNITED ARTISTS. Why do the current encumbents at M-G-M try to distort and re-write Hollywood history by slapping their moniker onto something they just happened to fall heir to?

- JMM.[/quote]

James--

MGM requires this statement on their United Artists releases. This is contractual. You'll notice it on other United Artists releases on ALL labels. It has nothing to do with "distorting history" and everything to do with MGM property. It's really true: some people will complain about literally anything.
--Doug[/quote]

Doug, I do realise that - the subject has come up before. I know it is a contractual issue at this point in time; it is just a pet hate of mine that gets to me now and again. And anyone who reads the post I made will realise that I am NOT complaining about anything done by Intrada. I was glad to see the release, glad to see the music live on and I will be glad to read Mr Redman's liner notes whenever the set arrives. I ordered a copy immediately through Screen Archives.

(The rather silly remark by Basil really has to be treated with contempt.)

- James.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 pm 

I understand why the ownership of the score must be changed and noted fully.

I understand that it does take away a certain nostalgia also, my big pet peeve is when you buy a new Blu-Ray and WB's has ommitted a classic 1970's 1980-s era WB's logo and just updated it with the current logo. It pulls me out of the film so fast.

Same with MGM they seem to always have their .com under every film now even re-issues. It doesn't feel the same. (save for the Turner MGM titles under the WB's catalog) I really miss the classic United Artist Logo's and they seem to update those also.

All the President's Men is being released on BLU soon and I have my fingers crossed I still get to see the Saul Bass designed logo that opens the film B/W style in silence the previous 2 Disc Special Edition kept it in tack. There is hope!

Back to the FILM SCORE CD releases however I understand it has to be tagged accordingly. It would be cool of the companies would let the artwork stand as it was originally, and maybe have the back cover with the current companies ownership... but again this takes a lot of work and something I honestly know nothing of.

I love the CD releases and the cover art for Great Escape is really nice. I think I paid $125.00 ish for the Varese release off Ebay few years back. Time FLIES!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:08 pm 

Fantastic release. This is one of my all-time favorite Bernstein scores. Thank you, Intrada. Oh--nice job on the artwork!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm 

While we're on the subject of Elmer, any chance of releasing The Amazing Mr Blunden? It's one of my favourite childhood films.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 pm 

... can't even find the proper words for this release and my feelings regarding it ... so it's just: Thanks.

I ♥ Intrada.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:58 pm 

By the way, though I (of course) appreciate the compliments, I am sometimes drawn in by a single criticism where I should have thicker skin. To wit, one brief comment on the FSM board bugged me: a complaint about my putting "Various Troubles" at the head of CD 2 instead of where Varese had placed it, at the close of CD 1.

My response is thus: I did this intentionally because that's where Bernstein and company made the break themselves of the picture (and score) when they created the two parts. I wanted to preserve the natural architecture of Bernstein's music just as it was intended. The end of "Discovery" actually brings the score (and CD 1) to an intelligent finish with a minor-key statement of the main theme. By placing "Various Troubles" right after that on the same disc, (which is what Varese did) you bring action into play but you also literally introduce new material, now leaving no cadence to the first part of the score and creating an odd shape to what is otherwise beautifully constructed musical architecture. Bernstein fashioned his score into two large segments with design and purpose. He knew what he was doing. I preferred to follow his example. I understand music and didn't just toss this thing together.

Instead of saying something nice about how we brought all of this really classic music back in a generous 3-CD set for the price of one disc for a whole new generation of listeners he just complained (in my opinion without merit) about the sequence.

I shouldn't let complaints like this one get under my skin but... sometimes they do.
--Doug :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:45 pm 

Don't let a few gripers get to you. This is incredible value for the dollar and all of us owe you a debt of gratitude for putting this classic back in the catalogue in it's finest form yet. Thanks, from someone whose first self-purchased soundtrack LP this was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm 

Yeah, you guys made a hell of a move. Make no mistake -- this score (the original tracks) needed to be avaiable again, and it needed to be in a larghe quantity.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:08 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next