[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Sol Kaplan's DESTINATION GOBI

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Sol Kaplan's DESTINATION GOBI
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:28 pm 

INTRADA

Announces:

DESTINATION GOBI
Composed by SOL KAPLAN

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 169

For the 1953 Twentieth Century Fox desert war tale Destination Gobi, composer Sol Kaplan provides a score that ably underpins both the expected and the more surprising elements of what isn't always a straight-forward narrative -- and is a hugely entertaining listening experience all on its own. The multi-faceted score, while featuring delightful cartoon flourishes, as provides more serious scoring, including two major themes—one a sober, determined, vaguely martial air for the little band of Navy men, the other a swirl of exotica complete with strings, bells, and spicy Asian flavor, for the Mongols. Both are often reiterated and increasingly tied together as the servicemen and the nomads become more closely bonded. On display on this album is a gifted, highly versatile young composer working at the height of his not inconsiderable powers, providing music that expertly moves from the exotic to the comic to the heroic with consummate ease.

Destination Gobi weaves the tale of a by-the-book World War II Navy man (the sturdy Richard Widmark) consigned to command a weather station
forlornly set in the trackless wastes of the Gobi Desert, some 800 miles from his beloved bounding main. Under his command is a group of far-from-seaworthy meteorologists, played by an admirable assortment of echt-1950s character actors: Don Taylor, Casey Adams (aka Max Showalter), Darryl Hickman, Earl Holliman, Martin Milner, and Ross Bagdasarian.

This release is limited to 1000 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 169
Retail Price: $19.99
AVAILABLE NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7062/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Sol Kaplan's DESTINATION GOBI
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:34 pm 

Ordered

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 pm 

Along side Alfred Newman, Sol Kaplan composed one of my favorite scores of the fifties; DANGEROUS CROSSING. I'm so glad to see another Kaplan release from Intrada. Like DANGEROUS CROSSING, at the time of purchase I never saw the film. I have since made that right with my Netflix account. Now I need to locate DESTINATION GOBI. Hey! I even guessed one right this time! Can't wait Intrada. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:46 am 

What a coincidence! I just found an LP copy of The Spy Who Came In From the Cold whilst vinyl-hunting yesterday!

Excellent pair of releases.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 pm 

Another fine early 50's Fox score to enjoy--thanks guys! (Here's hoping you might consider Kaplan's exciting score to the Fox "smokejumper epic", THE RED SKIES OF MONTANA, someday.) Meanwhile, this one is definitely ordered.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 am 

ANCHORS AWEIGH (aka the fight song of the US Naval Academy) is one of my all-time favorite pieces of patriotic music, and I'm thrilled to hear it getting such prominent play in a classic score! Fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm 

My copy arrived today, just finished listening! It's a great old 50s Fox actioner, very enjoyable, hope we get lots more of this vintage! I'm now reading the liner notes by the always highly informative Julie Kirgo, but I know she'd never join a witchunt, her broom is clean folks! Well done Intrada, and well done Hamsters, my orders are arriving a day earlier than they used to! You guys are terrific! 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 pm 

Being the perfectionist that I am and a stickler for attention to detail, I have to point out an error with the Gobi 600x600 cover art. It looks a new Intrada banner was pasted over the original artwork and you can even see the original lettering beneath the word "Collection". I haven't purchased this CD yet, but I'm curious if it went to print like this?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm 

I'm looking at my copy of the Destination Gobi booklet and I can't see any print problems! Anyway, right now I'm listening to some goood old "wagon train" music from Hugo Friedhofer's, Two Flags West, what a great Intrada release, oh happy days! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 pm 

I have been enjoying this disc a great deal. I do want to know who this Richard Widmard fellow is? Well ok that is the spelling on the back of the booklet. :) It doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:50 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:41 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next