[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Twilight Zone, The Movie OST (opinions?)...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Twilight Zone, The Movie OST (opinions?)...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:53 pm 

Hi all,
I'm a little confused about when this score was officially released. Can someone give their opinion of the quality? When watching the Blu-ray on my 5.1 system, one of my favorite pieces is the "Nightmare" segment. Does this OST do it justice, and how about the other tracks?

Post subject: Re: Twilight Zone, The Movie OST (opinions?)...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
The FSM release definitely does the score justice. Each segment is complete, and the original album edits are an added bonus.

No complaints about sound quality. The audio side of things was handled with care by the unbeatable team of Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:25 pm 

Yes, the FSM is the one to get. Complete and superbly done. "Nightmare" is my favorite as well. Jerry Goldsmith at his absolute finest. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:44 pm 

Cool thanks :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:50 pm 
I'm sure you'll like it.

The entire CD is something special. I've always been partial towards the segments "Time Out" and "Kick the Can," with frantic pianos and wild percussion in the former (which comes across crisply and dynamically on the FSM CD) and gorgeous melodies in the latter (I love the 10-minute track with dialogue towards the end of it). "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is also great with the style of scoring later fleshed out in Goldsmith's Gremlins score.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:11 pm 

"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is my favorite because I prefer psychological/thriller scores. My favorite part is the "Trying to relax/don't open the window!" section; the brilliance of how suspenseful that music becomes. Also, the choice of instruments used.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:45 am 

I must post a comment on this thread! Haha. I have been recently obsessing over this score. I didn't like the first segment music very much at first, but after listening to it a few times, it has grown on me. I've always loved the beautiful melodies in "Kick the Can" and especially the short audio clip by Scatman Crothers. Even though it's not similar to the typical creepy or bizarre storyline material that TZ fans are used to, I love it. SC's character gives the audience a sense of hope and imagination. Classic.

To echo T. Newman Fan's words, I loved the "frantic pianos and wild percussion" in "Time Out," and it had a nice, pretty theme, too, that provided a sense of discovery of new things.

Then, of course, parts of "Nightmare..." are a precursor to Jerry's Gremlins score.

The reason I love this music so much is initially because of the film, naturally. It's pure and simple nostalgia for me, as I grew up watching this very diverse collection of TZ stories. Of course, unfortunately, most if not all fans of this movie remember that tragic, fatal accident that killed Vic Morrow and those 2 Vietnamese children. It has tainted this movie's memory and history. It's too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:26 pm 

Great score and the FSM CD does it proud - I always enjoyed the film as well - saw it back in 1983 - was very sorry to hear about Vic Morrow and those two child actors at the time

Anyway, great stuff all around...:-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:50 pm 

Received this one yesterday and don't even need to crank it that loud to "get" its intensity. It's funny how DVDs and BDs claim that 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc. will give you the most satisfying experience, and that may be true in many ways, but it doesn't compare to the isolated score. The "Nightmare" tracks have additional elements in them that I never noticed before.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]