[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Miklos Rozsa's THE RED HOUSE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Miklos Rozsa's THE RED HOUSE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 am 

INTRADA Announces:

THE RED HOUSE
Composed by MIKLOS ROZSA
Conducted by ALLAN WILSON
Performed by ROYAL SCOTTISH NATIONAL ORCHESTRA
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL CHAMBER CHOIR

Intrada's latest release in its Excalibur Collection features the premiere of Miklos Rozsa's complete score to the 1947 film The Red House. The unique combination of the 1940s and the film-noir genre provided Rozsa with an opportunity to compose some of his most stunning film scores. The Red House is one of the greatest of these scores. Full of passion, action, and drama, the score has only previously been released in suite format. Kevin Kaska reconstructed the entire score from scratch, ensuring strict adherence to Rozsa's original orchestrations and resulting in a CD of the complete score running over an hour. In all of Rozsa's extensive body of work, it is no exaggeration to state that this score contains some of the most compelling music he had ever composed and it is an honor for Intrada to announce this on what would been Rozsa's 105th birthday.

Starring Edward G. Robinson and based on the novel by George Agnew Chamberlain, the story tells of a crippled farmer who, after his daughter brings home a suitor, attempts to keep everyone from a mysterious red house located on his property. Of course, madness and murder prevail.

INTRADA
Retail Price: $19.99
AVAILABLE FALL 2012
DETAILS AND WEBPAGE TO FOLLOW

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Miklos Rozsa's THE RED HOUSE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:32 am 

This is awesome news!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:43 am 

Wow, out of the blue!!! LOVE the Gerhardt suite, this is great news, kudos guys!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 am 

What can I say ? I am thrilled by such wonderful news.My congratulations to Doug and everyone involved at Intrada.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:35 am 

Certainly a surprise. This is going to be a very interesting listen. A rerecording by a new orchestra as far a Rózsa is concerned and a score which has only been partly available so a lot of it is going to be new music for me. Good to see that the Excaliber series is still alive and maybe will help fill the gap that FSM will leave in the future. Kudos to the Intrada team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am 

This was quite unexpected, but very welcome news. I'm not familiar with the score outside of the Gerhardt suite, so the prospect of some new Rózsa music sounds quite appetizing to me.

I also am quite glad to see that Excalibur is still out there. This is certainly something to look forward to!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:29 am 

Well not 100% out of the blue as they mentioned they were going to release another Excalibur disc.

But the title, somewhat of a shock. Can't wait for more Rozsa in great sound though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am 
I'm embarrassed to admit that although I've heard of the film, I've yet to see it or hear any of the score. I suppose there is no better way to become acquainted with it than by watching the Blu-ray and getting a CD of a modern recording if I end up liking it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 am 

Oooohhhh, neat! Looking forward to this! :D

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm 

When the SPELLBOUND recording came out, I was dubious. But the recording they made was wonderful, and made me enjoy the score unlike any other recording before.

Now THE RED HOUSE is getting the same treatment. Wow!

And I hope they'll be some good pictures of gorgeous Julie London who was only 18.

(And Lon McAllister, who was the very image of the cute and boyish young man from the 1940's.)

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

Post subject: LATE '40s HOLLYWOOD: RED HOUSES, RED SCARES AND RED HERRINGS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 pm 

Wonderful news, can't wait to hear it. Doug's commitment to Rozsa's music is very heartening; he's spent a lot of money re-recording the composer's scores (now numbering four -- two-thirds of all the Excalibur releases), and very fine recordings, all.

The best thing about this new recording is that, like IVANHOE and JULIUS CAESAR (but unlike SPELLBOUND), it's a score which had only been available in suites and fragments (compounded by the film's being in the public domain, with all prints' soundtracks in a race with the picture to see just how atrocious and unendurable they can be.

I imagine that the CD's notes will tell the tale, but I'm wondering where the printed scores came from with this one -- records and film elements from obscure, independent production like THE RED HOUSE are apt to have been scattered to the four winds over the decades, with little effort on anybody's part to preserve them (hence all the dreadful prints of the film in circulation). Did the orchestrations still exist, or did someone (such as Danny Robins, who did it for Excalibur's IVANHOE and JULIUS CAESAR) have to reconstruct them?

Not to nitpick, but it'd also be awfully nice if Intrada re-released THE LAST EMBRACE with the stereo tracks that everyone knows exist (and aren't that hard to acquire)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm 

Excellent news!!

Post subject: Re: LATE '40s HOLLYWOOD: RED HOUSES, RED SCARES AND RED HERR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:47 pm 

Post subject: Re: LATE '40s HOLLYWOOD: RED HOUSES, RED SCARES AND RED HERR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:58 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:52 pm 

Great news, love Rozsa's music from 'The Red House", and indeed a surprise. I hope the recorded sound is closely miked not like Intrada's previous "Spellbound". I just could never get into "Spellbound" I think because of the concertey(?) sound.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next