[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - LIMITED EDITIONS Update

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: LIMITED EDITIONS Update
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:51 am 

Okay, we've had it. We've had it with not being able to determine the right pressing quantity on a title. Too little of this title, too much of that title. So effective immediately with EXPLORERS going forward (not backward, just forward), we will no longer be pressing limited editions. Not in the traditional sense. Order EXPLORERS if you want it. If you want it, you will get it. When you all had your fill of EXPLORERS, we'll delete it. It is no longer limited to 3000 units. No nasty speculators to deal with, no broken dreams, no pressure. Well, almost no pressure. If we do release a title and it moves poorly, we'll delete it quickly. Very quickly. Could be a matter of a couple of weeks. We're happy to be generous, but we don't want to sit on piles of inventory. So buy what you want, but be timely about it because titles will still not be around forever. Of course, if disaster strikes because of this new policy, we reserve the right to return to our previous limited edition series. And if you ordered extra EXPLORERS cause you wanted to make a killing on ebay, there's still time to cancel your order.

Just one comment about our friends at the American Federation of Musicians. Many of these releases are possible due to their generous discounts on fees for limited runs. They maintain an absolute maximum of 10,000 units, so in some sense titles do remain limited.

Doug will have more to say in his Corner later today.

Post subject: Re: LIMITED EDITIONS Update
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:57 am 

Hope this doesn't mean that all the fun obscure 1000 copy titles are no more?

If so I'm one unhappy camper. :(

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

Last edited by Freejack on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 am 

The Japanese used to melt their over produced vinyl and pave the highways.

Silent movie stunt man and body builder Joe Bonomo invented the concept of "cut out" LPs back in the sixties. Remember those big colorful signs in department stores advertising records 3 for 99 cents? Joe Bonomo's idea! He also endorsed eating a lot of candy while working out. :lol:

Last edited by WorkingWithKnives on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:08 am 

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:08 am 

Thank God. I was so tired of seeing Intrada lose out on what could potentially be more in terms of sales, etc. Same for the customers who miss out. I applaud this move and look forward to reading more with Doug's thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 am 

Roger,

Thanks. I like this move very much.

I'm one of those people that simply loves the music. I don't care about whether what I own is rare or exclusive. I don't get an ego boost knowing it was only one of however many. I just love the music. So, from my point of view, this is a very good policy.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 am 

Agreed, good move, hope it works out.

If I like the film, composer, music, I'll buy it asap. Playing the 'numbers game' sucks.

It was pretty funny, NOT, to come into work today, check Intrada and see EXPLORERS.
I misread Doug's note, thought there was no announcement yesterday.
While I was
ordering, from SAE sorry!!, it literally fell out of my cart when I was placing my order.
So I dumped out of that and sent my $25 to you guys :), since this is 'grail' for me.

I think your label has a loyal enough base, as do the composers you work with, so this
should play out just fine I hope. Don't you miss the old days sometimes? :x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 am 
That is a wonderful policy that I hope moves much more product than before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 am 

I wish this could mean I could have Inchon now. Does Intrada still own the rights?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 am 

This is an unexpected and fascinating development. In fact, I wondered for the first few lines whether Roger was making a joke and I was slow to get it.

The beauty for me of the limited-editions era has been the availability of so much material I had wanted which otherwise never would have been issued. Many of my most favorite scores have only seen limited release, with several of them never yet having sold out, even after years. (The extra copy of EXPLORERS which I ordered is for a friend without a computer, who asked me to get one for him when I convinced him why this one would be a quick sellout if it turned out to be one of last night's announced titles. So this morning's announcement won't make me cancel MY multiple order. But I did see one person listing eight available on eBay this morning!)

The new policy may keep us from sitting leisurely "on the fence" about titles of borderline interest to any of us; but I always hope my favorite specialty label can stave off "disaster."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:38 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:44 am 

totally agree!sincerely..but will you write always when a title is going to be canceled in time to take a decision?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:47 am 

I think that this is an interesting policy, and I hope that it works out well, as I know all too well how frustrating it is when something you've wanted for a long time sells out before you have the chance to order it. I do fear that it may impact some of the smaller-selling titles. I know that an 80s blockbuster score is going to easily outsell a mono 70s crime thriller, but it's often those smaller titles that yield the most surprising discoveries.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:02 am 

Yay on the new policy Doug & Intrada, I look forward to seeing how it works out. I'm particularly glad that SILVERADO & TOMBSTONE are in for the long haul; I want them and I'm always weary of deflecting them for later.

I only wish it had been in affect a bit sooner so I could have got Trail of the Pink Panther :)

I don't feel the doom and gloom from it that haineshisway seems to feel over on FSM. How, if its feasible, is it bad that these albums stand a chance of getting into the hands of the fans that wants them. The fact that, in my mind, that people who search for Back To The Future music can still get it a year on in what would otherwise likely have been a sold out limited edition.

[EDIT]I've never bought any of these albums because they're limited editions, I am not a collector in that way, I just want to be able to buy the music in expanded / complete forms (like the hard to get but not limited Complete scores for LOTR, Star Treks) or previously unreleased music (BTTF, X-Files boxset) or plain old re-issues that were OOP.

It is insane when a title sells out in 14 hours because you just don't get time to think, or as someone pointed out at FSM, take the time to rent the movie and see what you think. Though its equally insane that some titles fly off the shelves and others seem to drag on (X-Files, Medal of Honor, Tombstone) while others vanish near instantly.

Last edited by tarasis on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next