[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Henry Mancini's THE MONEYCHANGERS

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Henry Mancini's THE MONEYCHANGERS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:30 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE MONEYCHANGERS
Composed and Conducted by HENRY MANCINI

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 172

The great length and complexity of the 1976 miniseries The Moneychangers' provided Henry Mancini with one of the largest canvases of his career -- the composer wrote almost two-and-a-quarter hours of music. Mancini’s first task was to humanize life behind the scenes at a financial institution—a challenge for any film about a bank. His main theme, first heard as the credits play over piles of stacked gold coins, begins with a churning ostinato to establish a constant pulse of activity, with gleaming synth notes evoking the heaped treasure. Over this, a sweeping melody enters in strings and brass—the human element in a sea of commerce. But that is just the start of Mancini's diverse and long overdue score on CD -- from the stirring main theme, through the gorgeous love theme, the haunting tune for Celia, the colorful location music, the original dance combo pieces, to those pulsating dramatic moments leading to the climactic shootout, it's an exciting, colorful, tuneful ride.

While an album to The Moneychangers is 35 years overdue, locating the master elements was no small feat. Ultimately Intrada located the elements in the Mancini archive - a complete set 1/4" mono elements. Every cue and every take was preserved in good clean sound to enable this complete restoration on this 2-CD set.

Arthur Hailey's The Moneychangers is centered around two bank executives—one good-hearted and responsible (Kirk Douglas), the other greedy and indifferent to ordinary citizens (Christopher Plummer)—who vie for the presidency of their institution. Around this central conflict, Hailey spun a tantalizing web of sex, intrigue, and violent crime. The remaining cast was a flood of established stars and talented character actors: Anne Baxter, Ralph Bellamy, Timothy Bottoms, Joan Collins, Susan Flannery, Robert Loggia, Marisa Pavan, Jean Peters, Percy Rodrigues, Hayden Rorke, James Shigeta, Ann Tivell, Patrick O’Neal, and Lorne Greene.

This release is limited to 1500 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 172
Retail Price: $29.99
AVAILABLE NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7128/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Henry Mancini's THE MONEYCHANGERS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:42 pm 

Never heard of the series, wasn't even alive when it aired but MY GOODNESS THESE SAMPLES.

This. Is. Beautiful.

I am having this right now. (Well, in a week or so when it's crossed the USA and the Atlantic Ocean) I'm also having Remo, which I remember seeing on TV a long, long time ago, and recall almost nothing of, but that music sounds equally brilliant.

Thanks again guys, you make my listening life better!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 pm 

Those samples are just gorgeous. Yet another forgotten Mancini masterpiece has been unearthed - and purchased.

Thanks Intrada!

P.S. - does anybody besides me hear traces of NIGHTWING in "The Shootout" ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm 

Oh there is some really nice music in amongst all those samples. There I was only going to order Remo ... argh.

Bemused by the "Son Of Main Title" track title, was that Mancini's original title or Intrada's own

[EDIT] Gambling and passing on this for now. Very tempted though, particularly by the Main Titles, Son Of Main Titles, Easy Money Montage and Hang On. The rest doesn't grabbed me as much, I think in part they sound too 70's but then its 3am here and I might be too tired :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am 

Well I just placed my order.

Mid 70's was a great time for the music of Henry Mancini. Happy to see this score brought to light. I like the way the mini-series discs are offered into individual episodes, in effect, four different original scores by one of the best. And the musician line up doesn't get any better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 pm 

My copy arrived earlier today, super fast, less than two days across the USA.

A nice two disc set, phat informative booklet with lots of great, well written words about the production, looking forward to hearing this mid 70's Mancini music.

Bravo to the guys at Intrada for bringing this to life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:09 am 

Yes, I also like the story of how the tapes were discovered/recovered, looking forward to hearing the music.

For future reference good Intrada folks (if possible) I'd also love releases of, Bernstein's The Captains And The Kings, and North's Rich Man, Poor Man, thanks! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:24 pm 

I just ordered to review as I love Mancini

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance...that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
Herbert Spencer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:18 pm 

This score is amazing... Hmmm... could another Boris Sagal mini-series score be in the works??? I hope so, there are a ton out there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]