[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The Two Conans

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Two Conans
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:41 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:05 am 
Between RoboCop, Red Dawn, Flesh+Blood, and now the two Conans, Intrada has really done right by Poledouris' most epic scores.

I hope The Hunt for Red October gets this kind of proper treatment someday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 am 

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 am 

I'm working on both scores at the same time but CONAN THE BARBARIAN will hit before DESTROYER. Big surprise. If there's any one thing that stands out it's just the sheer power and energy captured in these originals that just raises the few hairs I have left on the back of my neck!

I recall talking at length to Basil about the first score while we were mastering our very first release, which was RED DAWN. One of the things he stated was how disappointed he was that the film ended up being mixed just for mono presentations. He said one reel had been mixed in Dolby surround for testing and the producers decided not to incur the extra costs. Basil was really frustrated because he said he'd managed to capture such ferocious "over the top" performances on the multi-channel session masters and couldn't understand why the film makers would reduce it all down into a mono film soundtrack.

The two-track mixes were used for the record versions (and the later Varese CDs) and everyone, including Basil, pointed out those actual original 24-track session masters were lost for ever. So it was a goosebump moment to find virtually everything alive and well in those Universal vaults.

Since these are the unedited masters being heard for the first time, we're having a blast finding out all sorts of cool stuff: Basil's very first take of the famous CONAN THE BARBARIAN main title ("Anvil Of Crom") has those familiar French horns starting out not low as they always have done BUT way up an octave, screaming in the upper register! He obviously didn't like the high melody line and asked them to drop it an octave. And there's a complete bridge section recorded for the sequence after the "Funeral Pyre" scenes that has never been heard before, not even in the re-recording.

Some of the neatest things are finding out how much power Basil got out of his percussion by frequently having the tympani and bass drums try several different strokes and volume levels, making adjustments right there on the podium to get just the sound he wanted. Much of the energy comes from working right there and literally ad-libbing specific passages, then adding other percussion sounds and getting that unique Conan sound.

I honestly can't think of many film scores where the raw power and intensity comes from players who just "go for it". THE WIND AND THE LION, recorded in Germany, comes to mind. Anyway, as Roger pointed out, when we were doing JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, Bruce Broughton and engineer Mike Ross pointed out just how raw energy and vitality would trump clinically accurate playing on epic scores like this. I know in my heart that's what Basil was looking for during his Conan sessions. Captured on 24-tracks spread out over two inch wide tape, I can hear those players giving Basil just what he wanted. And we're really excited about bringing it all to you.
--Doug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 am 

Heck, you got me so excited about it, I almost want to shell out for a CD of sessions chatter, taks, just to hear the hubbub.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:36 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:20 pm 

- Face/Off (complete score)
- True Romance (complete score)
- Small Soldiers: The Deluxe Edition
- The Witches of Eastwick (expanded edition)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 pm 

Jeezum crow Doug, you guys are something else, way to whip us into a feeding frenzy!!!!

Cannot wait to hear these in all their glory, AND the Tadlow re-rec as well. Collect them all right?

Will be nice to finally confirm one thing - DID BP use 24 fr.horns in the main title??????

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:08 pm 

And today is the day the Blu-Ray release of Conan the Barbarian comes out - with a stereo mix that was originally made for the international release back in '82. throw away your mono DVD copies. (Conan the Destroyer comes out also on Blu-Ray today).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:31 pm 

Fantastic news!
Congratulations, Intrada!
Thanks nonetheless to Tadlow for their re-recordings.

Besides SACD, do you (Doug & Roger) know whether lossless multi-channel editions of certain scores on Blu-Ray would be economically possible?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 pm 

Simply astonishing news. Poledouris is my favorite film composer, so CONAN THE BARBARIAN is the holiest of all possible grails. And to get DESTROYER as well!

The alternates described here sound fascinating - hopefully they can be included. And if possible I'd love to hear even just a snippet of Poledouris working with the orchestra.

Thank you, Intrada!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 pm 

So, Doug,

Would you be able to then confirm that Morricone was never hired and never did anything?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 pm 

Thanks Doug for the information in regarding this. Amazing stuff. Cannot wait for these two to be released. Basil's CONAN scores are amongst my favorites of all time (the ever growing list that is)...

With that said, I will once again say... 2011 is definitely Intrada's best year yet.

Customer for life...

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:16 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next