[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The Two Conans

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Two Conans
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 am 

Hey, it's CONAN!!! It's the original master session!! I will buy it immediately!!!
I want it ALL!
I hope it will be a deluxe box edition (3 or 4 discs).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:08 pm 

My copy of the Conan Blu ray arrived yesterday and while I previwed the first half and it looks great, the music mix on the 5.1 is rather SURPRISINGLY good and boy does it sound clean? You bethca! If the producers used the same newly discovered multi-track sources then Im going to bet that that Intrada version will knock your socks off. Its THAT good!

On the blu ray front Ive read that their are couple of snafus on the 5.1 mix with choral sections droping out etc but my version sounded A-OK infact the only output I found lacking was the less use of the rear channels overall. For some it will be "lamentations" galore.

The Intrada version will sound super clean sans the muddy mix of the original Varese renditions. So you guys can be rest assured.

Amer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:25 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 pm 

Just slight tweaks to some of the info... since CONAN seems to generate more tidbits, gossip and conversation than most film scores get. According to Basil, the mixing of the film for stereo performances was done ONLY with one reel in 1982 as a test by the sound people to try and get the producers to pony up enough money to pursue mixing the entire film that way. The producers weren't interested. We never discussed what later happened with prints for European distribution so other experts will prevail here.

In any case, I don't believe there were any 5.1 mixes going on back in 1982, not for typical 35mm films anyway. 70mm projects were a different animal, but to my knowledge CONAN was not shot in 70mm.

In any case, yes, the actual 2" 24-track session elements were thought to be lost. Other stereo mixes in various formats have been available for the 1982 soundtrack album, the subsequent CD releases, re-issue prints, video incarnations and whatnot but the 24-track elements qualify as being "newly discovered" and certainly are being newly mixed and mastered for our release for the first time to my knowledge.
--Doug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:06 am 

Doug! My expectations have really gone up!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:58 pm 

Conan the Barbarian was shot in Todd-AO 35, which were custom anamorphic lenses that could be mounted on Arriflex and Mitchell cameras, and was originally meant to compete with Panavision.

You can tell an anamorphically shot film from one shot with spherical lenses by the shape of the lens flares. If the film was shot with spherical lenses, the flare rings will be round, if it was shot with anamorphic squeeze lenses, the flare rings will be elliptical.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:11 am 

Let's push this up !
Any News about the production !
Any release date yet !!!
Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:38 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 am 

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 am 

Could we speculate year's end, or is this looking to be more of a 2012 deal?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm 

First and foremost I hope and vote that anything that was in the movies be included in the soundtracks. This is of greater importance to me than a release that attempts to reflect what the composer's original intentions were, because (especially in the case of BARBARIAN) the score is so intimately tied to the action and visuals; you just can't separate the two. (What an astounding disappointment when I first listened to the Varese Sarabande DESTROYER and found that the movie's crashing opening title music had been essentially neutered for the CD. The version of "Riders of Taramis" they included was indeed a great piece on its own, but nowhere near worthy of replacing what you hear in the film).

Any alternates or such things would be appreciated (e.g. "something Basil really wanted but Milius/the studio rejected"). But these should be extras, never replacing a piece or version that appears in the films.

Finally, it would be really great if the Clemencic Consort recording used in "Tower of Set" is included, but if it can't be (due to licensing or whatever), then could we at least get the original female vocals that Poledouris added to it? That way, those of us who have the Clemencic "Cantiga 166" could at least use audio mixing software to re-join the pieces and listen to a complete "Tower of Set" for our own enjoyment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next