[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Film composers you've seen in concert?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Film composers you've seen in concert?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 pm 

The only film composer I've seen in concert is John Williams back in 1995 at Minnesota Orchestra Hall. It was fantastic! I would love to see my favorite, Conti, in concert someday but it is probably unlikely, I think Williams is the only film composer we've ever had in Minnesota, and I don't travel much. The closest I've come to a Conti concert is seeing Sheena Easton sing FOR YOUR EYES ONLY at her COLOURS OF CHRISTMAS concert years ago. I know Conti has had many concerts throughout the world and they've gotten excellent reviews, so I keep my hopes up he might someday come to Minnesota. What about you guys? :)

Post subject: Re: Film composers you've seen in concert?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 pm 

None, unfortunately. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 pm 

Live in concert? Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams (5x), Howard Shore (3x -- not conducting, but present each time). Also, Erich Kunzel. Not bad for a Midwesterner. :)

Very fortunate to have had a chance to speak with all of the above, post-concerts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:16 pm 

I was one of the lucky ones that attended the Soncinemad Film Music Conference in Madrid, Spain in 2007. At this film music festival there where a concert with Christopher Young (they played Spider-Man 3 among others) and a concert with Alan Silvestri (and that one is released on CD and in the booklet among all the pictures I can see myself in one of them).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:53 am 

Maurice Jarre and Ennio Morricone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:00 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Pat Metheny, Philip Glass, Lalo Schifrin, André Previn, Klaus Doldinger and John Williams come to mind offhand. Perhaps a few more when I think about it.

Sadly not: Jerry Goldsmith. Never made it to one of his concerts. Pity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 am 

For me only Jerry Goldsmith, for whom I traveled to a 1989 concert in neighboring Michigan. Apart from Goldsmith on that one occasion, I met and obtained autographs from Quincy Jones (1973) and Miklos Rozsa (1982).

Alas, I missed my one opportunity to meet John Barry when he canceled a scheduled appearance at Chicago's Rose Records store to promote the release of his CHAPLIN and Moviola CDs. Although I have sought very few autographs in my life, I ducked out of work for an hour for a Michael Caine book signing a few days before Barry's announced appearance, because I couldn't resist the prospect of having a poster for THE LAST VALLEY inscribed by both star and composer! (Which is why it was especially disappointing to learn Barry wasn't coming after all.)

Since I never flew anywhere for a Barry concert, I guess there's no reason not to frame that poster now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:56 am 

Fortunately I have been able to see a few, all in Maryland (my home state).

Jerry Goldsmith, Bill Conti (both at the Meyerhoff) and Henry Mancini (Oregon Ridge Fireworks Concert).

Also, conductor Erich Kunzel came to town and conducted a great concert of broadway and film music. Great concert.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 am 

John Williams - London - UK - 1996
Michael Kamen - Luneville - France - 1998
Lalo Schifrin - Beauvais - France - 1998
Debbie Wiseman - London - UK - 1999
Hans Zimmer - Gend - Belgium - 2000
John Scott - Paris - France - 2005

Williams was very pleased to sign my ALWAYS CD.
I've eaten at restaurant with Sandra & Michael Kamen. A marvelous souvenir.
Debbie Wiseman & John Scott signed many CDs.
I was the morning after his first major concert ever with Hans Zimmer at a press pool !
Only Schifrin was unvaible...

I feel very luky. :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm 

Thanks to the efforts of many Spanish fans every year we are treated to some great concerts. I greatly regret missing Basil Poledouris' last concert. These are some of the composers I've seen whose music was played with them either directing or attending the concert:

- Howard Shore
- Harry Gregson-Williams
- Trevor Jones
- Alan Silvestri
- Chistopher Young
- Gabriel Yared
- Christopher Gordon
- John Debney
- John Scott
- David Arnold
- Bruce Broughton
- John Powell
- Joel McNeely
- Patrick Doyle
- Michael Giacchino
- Bear McCreary
- Bruno Coulais
- Nathan Barr
- Randy Edelman
- Dave Grusin
- Roque Baños

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm 

This past Friday night, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra kicked off is Masters in Film Music series with George Fenton conducting his own film music, and a new piece commissioned by the DSO titled "From a Disappearing World," which sounded like it could have been late Vaughan Williams. The entire concert was terrific. He spoke charmingly from the podium, and was joined by Andy Tennant, who has directed several of the films scored by Fenton. Most of the pieces were accompanied by film. I was familiar with most of the film music, and the new piece was electrifying.

Fenton has always been one of my favorites and this was really a treat.

Last edited by crwdfwtx on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:47 pm 

No film composers specifically but I have seen some people who have worked in film. The great Taj Mahal in Cincinnatti when I was a kid. At the time he had a reggae band. I shook hands with a couple of the band members before the show. Not sure why they shook my hand, I guess it was because I was sitting in the first row.

Milt Jackson of the Modern Jazz Quartet, the great vibist who can be heard on many film scores (Odds Against Tomorrow). Watched him perform with a quartet that included Sonny Stitt in Chicago.

Unfortunately I've never been to a concert performance of a major film composer although I regularly fueled the gold Jaguar of Alex North while employed at a Chevron station in Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 am 

Jerry Goldsmith (twice in concert) - shook his hand 3 times!
John Williams (twice in concert) - was not allowed back stage either time!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:59 pm 

Jerry Goldsmith 6x
John Williams
Ennio Morricone
Elmer Bernstein
Howard Shore
Hans Zimmer
Tangerine Dream
Pat Metheny
John Powell
Gustavo Santaollalla
Peter Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:50 pm 

Concerts - Jerry Goldsmith (3 times, once his 75th, all at the Barbican Center with the LSO), John Williams (Once, Hollywood Bowl), Debbie Wiseman (Once, London), Bear McCreary (5 times, 3 for Galactica, once for Halloween and Once for a small venue with Raya Yarbrough), Ron Jones (At Last Star Trek Convention with The Experience)

Met (At various composer signings):

- Bear McCreary (Real nice guy)
- Stu Philips (Playfully tried to get me to buy 4-CD promo at Dark Del, but I had to watch pennies)
- Christopher Young (Twice, as humble a human being as one could meet)
- Debbie Wiseman (Nice, got to say "hi")
- Ron Jones (Full of stories about his time on TNG, nice guy)
- Michael Giacchino (Nice, humble guy, loved talking about his work, had his son with him in Starfleet shirt)

Spoke to at 2008 Comic-Con Panel:

- Tyler Bates (300), asked him about musical influences, chickened out of asking about specifics (Directly lifting from Goldenthat's Titus) and regretted it :)

I'm sure there are others who escape my attention right now, but I'm absolutely grateful to have had the opportunities to meet/hear these girls/guys in person.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]