[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Sucking The Joy Out Of Soundtracks...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sucking The Joy Out Of Soundtracks...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 am 

Intrada are THE BEST.Iv not been a member here for very long but iv had no complaints with ANY of their releases so far.

Keep up the good work Doug!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 am 

Doug, even if you delivered every score ever produced in a 10-disc box set encrusted with diamonds there would still be morons out there who bitch and moan.

Fuck 'em, I say. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Apart from producing excellent CDs, Intrada has also an exemplary first rate customer service. It's actually pretty tough to find something to complain.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:19 pm 

Doug,
I do not thin that I am your oldest customer but it's been almost 30 years. I bought LPs from you when ordering them from Europe was an adventure - orders and catalogues by airmail, payment with international money orders, shipment in large packages sealed with rope and lead seals.. I remember when you issued your first CD, which I promptly bought. When I was in California with my family I dedicated one afternoon to find and visit your old shop.

And I am still here, buying your CDs more than those of any other label. I do it for the music. How a CD is assembled, whether it has every single note written for the movie, even the quality of the sound... I might have my opinions, but that comes after.

You are luckier than most in that you have managed to make a living out of your passion. You are working with the composers we all admire, You can listen, and then oftem release, the music you love.

But one sad reality of all jobs is that you cannot please all your customers all the time (and you always have customers, even if you are not in sales); Some critivoism is justified, and you can use it to learn from your mistakes, But some isn't, and you have to live with it. We all have to (this said from one that at 50 is still biting his nails and had a perforated ulcer).

I am not sure whay I am trying to say here... maybe just a big GRAZIE (thanks!), and a suggestion to ignore the anal-retentive nitpickers that apparently spend more time criticizing the music than listening to it. Thet are not worthy of your attention.

Cesare from Italy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:55 pm 

I don't know whether it's comforting or distressing to know that some small portion of fans of all things are equally irksome about whatever it is they care about. Go to any DVD/Blu-Ray board. Not too long ago, I spotted one "fan" who seemed to feel that the absence of reel change markers in the corner of his screen (those little circles that functioned only to alert a projectionist) had ruined not only the movie he was watching, but pretty much everything of value in his life. A couple of years ago, researching a project, I went onto a Game Show Network board, and was astonished to read the vitriol being spewed at that station for they had dared to move "Match Game '73" (I think) to an early morning slot. And my oldest friend works for a major opera company, and he has occasionally read to me from the mail they receive when some aficionado believes a baritone in the chorus to have been insufficient.

As Roger points out, it's not like "the fans" speak in one voice -- somebody will always want it another way. And as Bruce adds, trying to please everybody leads to mediocrity. I work in television comedy, and at the end of the process for every pilot, you wind up at an audience testing facility, where a group of forty "comedy non-avoiders" (that's what they call them) are brought in to tell you everything you did wrong in the months you were making this project. Inevitably, the professional testers will prove to you scientifically that the show would play better if you cut all the set-ups (which dragged on the chart) and left in only the punchlines. Meanwhile, separated groups of men and women tell you which characters they liked and which ones they didn't, and what scenes they liked or didn't, and of course there is almost no consensus. And then they hand you all this data, as if it were illuminating. It's nonsense. And good television is not made this way.

I like to listen to music. I am not the Library of Congress -- I do not care to archive music for future generations. I like to listen to music. I don't like to listen to movies, though the music I love is mostly from movies. I like to listen to music. So I want Doug and Roger, and Lukas, and MV, and Ford, and Bruce, and all the rest to do what they see fit to make a CD of music that I can listen to. If Doug wants to include seven second cues, as he did on "Battlestar," well then that's what he should do even though that would not have been my choice. Choices must be made. I can buy the CD, or not buy it. And if I buy it and am disappointed, well, may a disappointing CD be the worst thing to happen to me that day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:27 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:06 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 am 

Haven't read this whole thread, but I'm glad to see Doug's "rant" in the first post, and that his views very much correlate to my own.

I am - as most know - an album enthusiast who don't give a monkey's toss about complete and chronological presentations.

Albums are why I became interested in soundtracks in the first place.

Album production is a lost art form within the niche market, it seems, and I wish guys like Doug could be let loose on a score: selecting what they find to be the most musically worth cues and then putting them in an order that makes sense and gives the album overall flow - irrespective of how and what music was in the film.

In short: album production like it was in the good ol' days and which is currently only practiced within the big, commercial soundtrack releases.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:35 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 am 

I was the second to post in this thread... And, I too have seen the great admiration of the real fans that have joined in it. Not to mention, Doug and Roger putting their two cents in. :) It is always good to hear from them.

As predicted, this Monday... the good old SUBMIT button was pressed. Did I think... that isn't all the music? That's not the correct order? Oh, I could do better... NOPE! Not even passed through my head. Instead... The first thing I saw was Stallone and the mountain range. A huge smile hit my face... next thing I know... ORDERED.

Later I re-watched the movie for the millionth time. Listened to the original issue of the score... and now... impatiently waiting for the INTRADA version to get here. Every release day with INTRADA is like Christmas.

As far as UNINVITED GUEST or INTRUDER... Perhaps the next time he/she register they should just call themself... MOST ANNOYING TWERP? What do you think?

The real fans are running INTRADA... and they are doing a spectacular job!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next