[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Bill Conti's COHEN & TATE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Bill Conti's COHEN & TATE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

COHEN & TATE
Composed and Conducted by BILL CONTI
INTRADA Special Collection Volume 139

The 1988 feature Cohen & Tate, about a boy abducted by two hitman and driven across Texas at night, attracted composer Bill Conti due to its unrelenting darkness, giving Conti the opportunity to compose his darkest, most serious work. Conti was best known for brightly triumphant scores ranging from Rocky to The Right Stuff. Thrillers weren't new to Conti, though, as he had made inroads to scoring thrillers in the late 1980s, among them the supernatural Nomads and the suspenseful F/X. The Cohen & Tate score would be a markedly different challenge for Conti, as the film plays like a chamber piece for three characters, all bent on destroying the other as they drive in a vehicle that doubles as an emotional pressure cooker. Conti deliberately avoided the overtly thematic scoring he was best known for, instead sublimating his character motifs into the music’s turbulent, and oftentimes explosive atmosphere of dread. Travis’s tender youth becomes the sound of piano, tossed against the hitmen’s brooding strings, the chords’ bright sounds almost lost in a sea of menacing low tones. Yet, the piano’s hopeful sound always manages to rise again, no matter what’s thrown at it. Conti’s use of the piano also gives the score a subtle, classical feeling, one that becomes more overt as the film progresses. But in this unforgiving world, Conti’s love of Baroque melody mostly stands in for two professionals who are bluntly elegant in their work. Conti also focuses on French horn at the request of director Eric Red (The Hitcher) "...
because it’s somber, muted and heroic There’s a power to it which embodies Cohen, especially as he bonds with Travis against Tate."

Cohen & Tate offers a disturbing thriller on the two-lane blacktop, as a nine-year old boy (Harley Cross) engages in a psychological battle of wits with
two steely hitmen (Roy Scheider, Adam Baldwin). The film would litter the middle-of-the-night road to Houston with the bodies of innocents, and mature the boy into a lethal match for his tormentors. And riding shotgun, so to speak, would be one of the most ominous and unrelenting scores ever to be found in the otherwise upbeat musical canon of Bill Conti.

This release is limited to 1200 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 139
Retail Price: $19.99
AVAILABLE 8/17/2010
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6660/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Bill Conti's COHEN & TATE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:57 pm 

Roger, Doug and everyone at Intrada, I can't believe this! Thank you so much! I'm very grateful, and very appreciative for this great release. You guys are so awesome. Thanks again. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:58 pm 

*dancing dancing dancing thru the night * (while ordering alittle Conti)...

Nice one...(but i knew I had right on this ;) )

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:06 pm 

Look at that wicked expression on Roy Scheiders face. I'll have to think about buying a copy though... okay, I've thought about it. PURCHASED IMMEDIATELY!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 pm 

Ordered. It does sound like the name of a law firm or maybe the successor advertising firm to McMahon and Tate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:17 pm 

The samples really sound great; I love them!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:19 pm 

It's always fun when Premiere score get's a release, especially by Intrada.

Thumbs Up!!!!!

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:21 pm 

I forgot to say thanks for this one. A superb thriller with great Conti...I´m thrilled...Please consider looking into Nomads too as this along with Cohen & Tate are two forgotten but great and different Conti scores...
Thanks again for this :)

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 pm 

I'm sorry, I just have to thank you guys again for this score! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:52 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:24 pm 

Conti's F/X has been getting repeated playings over the past few days -- so I'm excited to be adding this one to the listening mix. Ordered.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:32 pm 

I'm so happy I could just shoot someone for large amounts of money. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:46 am 

Didn't know the movie (but will do my homework - I promise !) but the sound clips sold me it in a flash. That's the Bill Conti I love !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:54 am 

I've gotta say that I'm equally intrigued by this as I am with SpaceCamp. Both ordered!

Sunbow/Marvel cartoon scores (Johnny Douglas)
The Big Picture
Blame It on Rio
An American Werewolf in London/Thriller
The Last Boy Scout
My Science Project
A Brief History of Time
Troy (Yared)
The Withces

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next