[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's EXPLORERS

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's EXPLORERS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:42 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:24 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 am 

By the way, Roger & Doug, I am curious:
did the additional orders exceed cancellations of orders for multiple copies, so that you are selling more than 3000 copies in the end?
I don't want exact numbers, I am just wondering how much was the actual interest for this disc compared to the appeal of a "limited" and possibly scarce edition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:51 pm 

You know, we could all take a shape knife and scrawl our user names on the clear plastic ring in the center of CDs. That way it's "numbered". And we'll know once we've parted with 'em, that they're not boots later on. Plus, anybody who won't scrawl their name on it, probably bought multiple copies.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 am 

Got my order confirmation Monday night. I ordered within minutes of the announcement. Still haven't received shipping confirmation. Obviously this week has been a little crazy so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:32 pm 

Spinning this wonderful release right now. Love it. The new mix reveals so many wonderful colors and textures I'd never before heard. This is one of my most cherished Goldsmith scores, and it's like hearing it again for the very first time. Jeff's notes are spot-on as usual: insightful and illuminating without being excessively adulatory. Bravo, thank you, and huzzah to all involved; this is a really marvelous production.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:52 pm 

Arrived home from work today, lo and behold TWO of my Intrada orders were in the mailbox.... and yes the first one I'm listening to at this moment is the Explorers score. I couldn't gently tear the plastic off fast enough. It is FANTASTIC!!!! This music brings back so many happy memories of my 80's childhood seeing movies at the local theaters in Albuquerque New Mexico. Wow!!!! So much can be said about this score but I'm going to sound like one of those "grown ups" that used to annoy me when I was young and use an age-old refrain: They don't make 'em like this anymore! I have A LOT of scores but this one easily ranks in my personal top 5, no question about it.

Ahhhhh....... Jerry, you created so much amazing music during your lifetime.. thank you! And to you hard working folks at Intrada, thank you so much for keeping his inspiring music alive and for all to enjoy again and again. This album has to be one of 2011's all-time best soundtrack releases.... aye yai yai :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 am 

Strange that all discussion of this wonderful, wonderful release seems to have stopped now that people are receiving and listening to theirs.

This is great stuff. The newly added material gives so much depth that wasn't there before. Some heart achingly beautiful passages. Somehow, Goldsmith really strikes me on a personal chord with Explorers. I can recognize that it probably is not his greatest accomplishment, but it is my personal favorite Goldsmith score.

I can't believe I have this in my collection. I feel almost bad that it eclipsed Black Hole and BSG Vol. 2 in my play rotation. They came out so close together!

Many thanks to all the fine people of Intrada for making this a reality. It is positively soul-nurturing music.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 am 

I've been requesting this excellent score for years -- one of Jerry's best, in my opinion.

I had the expanded boot which furthered my love of the score, until it became unplyable.
Some people are indicating the complete isn't what they expected, I for one am not one of those.

With the exception of that aweful short pop passege (I think in the end credits), there's nothing to hate here.

Of course "The construction" still remains my favorite cue. Remarkable scoring that hightened the film immensly. I don't imagine I'll ever see a film again that does that.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:03 am 

Just got my packet in my box ! Explorers is one of my all time favorite scores. Luckly, Intrada did it.

The sound is astonishing !!! :shock:

One of the greatest releases of the year.

Thank you for all your hard work Doug & Roger !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:38 pm 

The Thunder Road has landed in the UK! Well, actually I was lucky enough to receive the disc on Thursday, but have been taking some time to listen to it and reflect a little before posting.

This was my grail. Oh sure, there are plenty of scores I would love to see out for the first time or given the deluxe expanded treatment, but for me this was the one I most dearly wanted. As I'm sure is often the case, it is a childhood nostalgia thing. As a child of the eighties, I had a selection of films I would return to often as favoured Sunday night viewing. Sunday night: that last refuge before having to face the tribulations of school once more. Looking back as an adult, it's not hard to spot the common thread between the titles - The NeverEnding Story, Return to Oz, The Last Starfighter and Explorers, among others. All featured kids escaping their humdrum existences to disappear into some fantastical land or outer space. Usually not the most popular kids either! It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they resonated then, or why they continue to do so.

Explorers was my favourite for many reasons. Something about Dante's oddball approach appealed to me much more than the comparatively conventional output of Spielberg. Critics have never been able to reconcile the two halves of the film (or, more accurately, the third act with the preceeding two). I think the dichotomy is well expressed by the write-ups in two of my well-thumbed reference books: Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide and Phil Hardy's Aurum Encyclopedia on Science Fiction films. Maltin writes that the film "Opens beautifully, takes its time developing story - then makes disastrous wrong turn in space that transforms film into shaggy-dog joke!" Hardy, by contrast, suggests that "If the first half ... is slow, the movie comes into its own once the teenage heroes meet Wak and Neek". I too shared Ben Crandall's disillusionment with what the explorers found in space, but was always able to accept the film as a coherent whole. Unconsciously, perhaps I recognised the thread of dreams unfulfilled that Dante mentions and Jeff Bond discusses so eloquently in his excellent liner notes for the CD.

Jerry Goldsmith's music undoubtedly plays a huge part in my enjoyment of the film. 'The Construction' still makes me beam from ear to ear whenever I hear it. As Jeff wrote in VideoHounds Soundtracks years ago, it is "perfect, surging with boyish optimism". For this listener, no one has quite captured "the thrill of staying up past your bedtime" as well as Goldsmith does here. The new CD is a joy - even the familiar cues are given new life, and finally being able to hear that Dick Miller-related theme apart from the movie is a wonderful thing. There's even little revelations like the 'Time for Bed' cue (written for a scene dropped from the final film, and never heard before now). Few scores play at their best in complete and chronological form, and although it was hard to imagine an 'Explorers' album that didn't open with the barnstorming cue 'The Construction', this album really works. It's a complete journey now, and one of Goldsmith's best ... at least for me.

So I'd like to give my heartfelt thanks to the Intrada team for making this particular dream come true - to Doug for the assured production, Roger for "pressing through the issues" (oh, how I clung to those words with hope for two years or so!), Jeff for the insightful liner notes, Joe for another great piece of tasteful design work (and his 500th CD to boot - congratulations!) and all the hamsters for their great work.

Apologies if this seems like gushing, but I felt I could be permitted this one outburst on what for me was a landmark release.

As for my reaction when I first listened to the 'Dick Miller' theme - well, there must have been something in my eye. :roll: That's my story and I'm sticking to it ...

Regards
Conrad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:29 pm 

Ugh.....guys....Intrada.....please screw up something, it's getting really
boring praising how much ass these records kick, m'kay? Really....

This is just bloody beautiful, words can't describe......

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:13 am 

Just like Conrad, I grew up with the movie and getting "the complete journey" as a CD at last is something really special for me and fo all the 80's kids out there. We were spoiled kids, with all those fantastic films, just like Conrad explained. And we still are with Intrada ! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next