[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Stu Phillip's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Vol. 1

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Stu Phillip's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Vol
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:54 am 

I just want to add my eternal gratitude for releasing this Intrada. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I've have waited 30 years for this!!! :D

If it is true that there will be six discs in total how come a box set wasn't planned instead of releasing them individually? NOT complaining, just would have been nice to have them all a box like the Indy set.

I have been lucky enough to have met Stu Phillips on 2 occasions and he is one of the nicest guys, really down to earth, he even offered to take my friend and I to the pub for a chat when we met him at the London Institute a few years back.

So looking forward to receiving my copies (actually ordered 2 because I'll play one to death and wear it out).

THANKS again Intrada - dreams do come true!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 am 

re: Lucas suing...
pretty sure he won his suit over BG
he also sued over HAPPY DAYS being a rip of AMERICAN GRAFITTI (it was) but lost that one

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:48 am 

As long as we're trivia-ing

George Lucas and John Williams visited the recording sessions to see if the music wasn't a rip-off from Star Wars. Williams decided it wasn't, complimented Stu -- and left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:56 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:35 pm 

Nowadays you just call it "paying homage to the creative of geniuses of (insert name of filmmaker, artist, composer, etc.) for their vision and guidance" and then you're pretty much in the clear. In this town (HWood) if you do enough public ego-stroking and adulation to the folks you're "borrowing" ideas from, 99% of the time you can keep the the suits at bay.

I never once thought BSG was remotely close to Star Wars when I was a kid. They were both cool!

On a side note, does anyone remember the movie Great White, starring James Fransiscus? That was a film that Universal sued and won claiming it ripped off Jaws and the judge agreed. In his ruling, he restricted it's release and it quickly disappeared from theaters. Hahahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:39 pm 

BG came out soon after SW.
It looked and sounded EXACTLY like it
if you were there, you know what i am talking about

btw never heard that SILENT RUNNING story or John williams checking out the music. interesting stuff.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:48 pm 

I was there.

Battlestar followed in the wake of Star Wars' succes. Just like after Friends more comedies used new genre parameters set by the success. But calling it plagiarism or even rip-off would go too far in my book.

Look, with Star Wars Lucas brilliantly set Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress in a new context. Battlestar got parameters from that context and told a new and different story. To me the origin of the inspiration doesn't dilute the quality of both.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:28 pm 

Back on the subject of the CD: ordered, along with Clash of the Titans, which I hadn't gotten around to yet. Good old early childhood flashback day when those show up.

I don't have a lot of fond memories of the original BSG (though I'm a huge fan of the recent redo). Even when it aired when I was a kid, I was only a casual fan. But one thing I always did enjoy about the show was the music, so this release captures for me what was best about the show. Looking forward to it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next