[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL/A STEP OUT OF LINE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL/A STEP OUT OF
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:04 pm 

Both scores are simply outstanding, the sound is in superb mono. Anyone on the fence should grab this one, Goldsmith's entire output is so amazing, that it is hard to believe that one man composed all this superb stuff.

Much thanks to you guys at Intrada.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm 

These two scores are fantastic! Neat fusion of Goldsmith's jazzy (NOT jazz, as he would say) sensibilities from the '60s with the f***ed up modernistic stuff he was playing with in the early '70s. Are these presented in the order they appear in the films? If so, they sound astonishingly well-balanced as a listening experience to these ears, although I admit I'm a lot more forgiving of such considerations than others may be.

Anyone else getting a Philippe Sarde vibe in the lighter sections of "Brotherhood of the Bell"? I never made a connection between Sarde and Goldsmith before, but if you brought in Stephane Grappelli or Ron Carter you'd have stuff that sounds a lot like what Sarde put together across the pond some years later. Of course, the darker stuff comes from another planet entirely, and when the two moods blend and wrestle together toward the end of the score... look out! Wonder if either composer was especially aware of the other?

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:07 am 

I've received my copy today. I am looking forward to giving it a spin. Like always, super fast shipping. Thanks Intrada (especially you, hamsters).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:10 pm 

Just a wonderful release. You can hear the Goldsmith of SEBASTIAN, SHAMUS, and THE MEPHISTO WALTZ percolating in there. Thanks to Doug, Roger, et al once again. Great sound, great notes, and Joe's usual fine graphic treatment.

I've never been been so continually financially taxed, yet couldn't care less. This is just the fix a 70's "JG freak" craves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 pm 

Team Intrada, I thank you heartily for issuing this, one of the most wonderful soundtrack CDs I've heard in a long time! I saw BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL about 10 years ago -- so while having forgotten the score, I remembered it was excellent. But A STEP OUT OF LINE was new to me; and while the latter is extremely good on its own, these two scores form one impressive, terrifically unified album. I even salute the decision to invert chronological order by letting disc peak with BELL!

In 1970 I was a teenaged Goldsmith fan who heard hardly any of his television movies because I was so hooked on theatrical features; in college by the following year, I watched no TV at all unless I visited somebody. I've always been grateful that I happened to catch A GIRL NAMED SOONER while home on a summer break; but man, this guy's genius was in full flower during that period -- proved anew by so many of these neglected TV projects now emerging. This release of STEP and BELL so soon after DAVID LEV is just unexpected riches.

vinylscrubber is absolutely on target with his citing echoes of SEBASTIAN, SHAMUS, and THE MEPHISTO WALTZ. For me, BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL is also a less-distancing, more urgent and animated sibling of SECONDS.

Heck, I can't recall the last time I was motivated to listen to a brand-new purchase twice in a row!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:26 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 pm 

Guys. This is just splendid. I adore it. And will play it a lot. Thank you for this extraordinary release. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:32 am 

Got the Intrada CD of A Step Out of Line/The Brotherhood of the Bell yesterday.

I was overwhelmed with "stuff" back when this was announced in September, so I didn't get around to ordering it until now.

This is Goldsmith in my favorite mode: experimental, the "Baroque Jazz Melncholy" sound, lots of keyboards, shifting sound textures, eerie atonalities, and swinging breaks. I've heard the samples, but will discuss this score in more detail once I get it.

It's got a "Flint: Five Years Later" sound; melancholy yet lightly swinging. There's more than a touch of that wonderful The Last Run in Step Out of Line and coming from Jerry's fertile early '70s period, I'm not surprised.

The solo piano rendition of A Step Out of Line has shades of Joe Harnell's "Lonely Man" theme and is as haunting a piece as I've ever heard.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3