[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Doug's Extra Two Cents On LIMITED CDS...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Doug's Extra Two Cents On LIMITED CDS...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 pm 

This is great news! I'm glad to hear it. Nothing's more disappointing that seeing a complete, remastered version of a soundtrack you've wanted for decades finally available with the words SOLD OUT in its listing. Pity the policy can't be applied to some older titles that have long sold out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:06 am 

While I am very happy that Doug and Team have come around and decided to replenish this superb title for another pressing. It may be 500 but even that is less. It may be sufficient for the existing fans who wants it (their precious). But what about the other fans who have not yet discovered EXPLORERS. They deserved it too. Having read Doug's various comments on his descion to reprint as well as Roger's. My only point is this. Its Jerry Goldsmith. Its Explorers. And what were you guys thinking? The descision to only do 3000 pressing for a OOP title was poorly made IMHO. Doug kinda accepts that. Jeff reacted post the order countdown and that was sadly reactionary IMHO. For me it was a no brainer. I had assumed that the release would have been around 5000 mark. Its one of the ball outta the park kinda releases. STAR TREK V which was redone by La La Land was around that mark and it sold out well. But STAR TREK V is different animal and as a fan I feel that EXPLORERS was a close second. Its Goldsmith 80's vintage sound. Its a must have. The film may have mixed fans but its a cult favourite and many fans from Europe are fans of it. This is like Knight Rider for them.

My only point is dont make the same mistake again. Make it to 5000 and let it end there. In a few months it will be gone for sure. I welcome the umlimited policy revison for future albums. This is a good direction but Im sure Doug and team will still tread with much trepidation and thought. Get the fans in the loop. Conduct a survey. Some industry insiders dont agree with the fans demand. But we've come along way. Its our market. Let us guide you as well. Dont take us granted either . You be the final judge. Thats all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:11 am 

I don't understand why you do limited editions in the first place. It is just a marketing and sales gimmick. People want a title. And they should be encouraged to BUY the cd and NOT discouraged. TO MANY PEOPLE DOWNLOAD soundtracks! I ALWAYS buy my soundtracks. Why can't you just do batches of pressing and keep things available like ALIEN. I understand the economies of pressing a larger quantity.

And I don't like the idea of keeping things a secret until it is released. I would love to know in advance so that I can budget my money for the month. i.e. I need bread, milk, and the latest soundtrack.

Thank you for all of your great releases. The last few years has seen some amazing soundtracks come out. I have never ever downloaded anything. I am a struggling Australian (in Australia) film industry worker and I spend the very little hard earned money I get on these great releases.

I am assuming that there are orchestra music release limitations??? I would like to know more.

Thanks again.

Jason Dullow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:14 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm 

Thank you for clarifying that. I don't know about those issues as I am not in that part of the industry. It would be good if there was some way that collectors and the general public could easily find this information. Do you have any recommended links for further reading?

Cheers

Jason

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm 

I'm not sure of anything specific.

I'd love to see an article that details a "typical" limited soundtrack release, and all of the aspects (legal/technical/financial) that come into play.

I've picked up on a couple of things via osmosis, and occasional posts that reveal various details, which I find very interesting and educational.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:45 pm 

Have any labels ever considered doing a hybrid pre-ordering system, so that they can get a better idea of how many numbers to initially press? I think that this would work, particularly for the major titles that are wanted by the majority of collectors.

I have already bought Alien & Poltergeist and a number of other big titles over the past few years, but I plan to buy a second copy to have hidden away for safe keeping.

One of the most significant things mentioned in the forum is for people to think about the future of soundtrack releases. What will happen? I think that it really is important to have this amazing music available to future generations. Like with film, hopefully this amazing music is also archived for safe keeping.

And there are so many composers that the younger generations are not familiar with. I am 40 and there is still a massive wealth of soundtrack music which I have not yet heard. This can also be the same for all other types of music. The list is endless...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 pm 

I find the new policy to be trendsetting. Hats off to Doug, Roger and company. Over the many (yup, all 26) years of purchasing Intrada releases... I have missed out on several due to various reasons. Perhaps, lack of funds... computer issues (do not get me started on that one)... and, not ordering quick enough.

Through the years I have gotten better with making sure I am online during the posting of new releases, but have still missed out on some things in the last few years that have annoyed me to death. Who is to blame? Me. Not fast enough. Or, not thinking it would be gone... WRONG. I never blame the label... whether that be Intrada, Varese, FSM, La La, etc.

When the first post came about the new policy, I thought AWESOME. Then, we had the post for THE CALLER and explaining what that all meant. If you are going to do something like this... do it right. Intrada has got it down. Very exciting stuff. Hats off.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2